Thoughts on this Mazda 6

01sentrase2.0

My roommate is looking at this car and was wondering if there is anything he should look for before purchasing. Thanks in advance.

http://www.byersauto.com/temps/details.cfm?searchvkid=401043

As a trade in, what should he expect for a slightly average 97grand am gt 4 door 190,000 miles? Sorry for being a noob with this part of car experience.

Luke

I've heard of transmissions failing on those cars. I've also heard some have a lot of electrical problems. That's just what I've been hearing. I'd suggest you find a Mazda6 forum and see what others are saying specifically and see if you guys see anything specific.

However, they are great cars to drive. Looked at a V6 with three pedals, but couldn't afford it. Bought the 3 instead.

With the 2.3L like my car, it's relatively eco. The 5sp. auto has a Freeway OD which makes it more of a cruiser than my 5sp. manual with shorter gears. In the city, don't expect good fuel economy, at all. when I drove an auto 3 around for a bit (same engine/tranny but lighter) I did mid 20's in the city with it (but I'm a conscious driver)... It's not a quick car but for an average DD it should be good. That engine is built well and it's quite rare to hear about someone blowing one (I think I've heard two cases ever, and they were beating on it). If your buddy can get over the bland looks of the car, tell him to look at a 7th gen (03-07 I think) Accord 4cyl. sedan. From what I've heard, they are a better DD car. They can be had at a decent price these days...

i gotta chime in here, unless they've done updates since '04.

my girl has a '04 6 4cyl and it is so slow, so loud, and such a piece of crap. she's had so many problems with it, think she's on her 3rd alternator, it can't get out of it's own way on the highway...and when it does you can't hear yourself think it's so loud inside...and the killer is the turn radius. Wow! even she says her moms old Suburban turned better! she has a hard time getting into parking spots, she has to stop. reverse. and give it another go.

just my $0.02.

for some reason it seems the 3 is better, which is kinda weird.

• Downvote 1

thanks for the advice guys. HP isn't an issue with him, the 3 wont work since he is 6'4" and skinny as a rail. He needs a decent size car, reliable, and all that good shit. We did notice a noise coming from the engine bay that was rather annoying that was sort of a whining sound like a belt. Im gonna take him to look at an altima and some other cars tomorrow.

I realize everybody has different experiences and all...

My wife bought new an 03 Mazda 6 and we still have it. It's the 2.3L automatic. Yes it's slow, no it's not sporty....but that's not what we have it for. We put a good amount of use on the car - it's currently just over 110,000 miles of our use - and have had a good experience with it.

The brakes (at least on the early cars) tend to wear out pretty quickly, and we had a vacuum tube split behind the intake manifold that was a pain in the ass to change, but other than that we've been trucking for quite some time with that car and I fully intend to drive it until it's completely broke and busted.

thanks for the advice guys. HP isn't an issue with him, the 3 wont work since he is 6'4" and skinny as a rail. He needs a decent size car, reliable, and all that good shit. We did notice a noise coming from the engine bay that was rather annoying that was sort of a whining sound like a belt. Im gonna take him to look at an altima and some other cars tomorrow.

the 3 will fit him fine My 6 foot and there is a ton of room have he check out a 3 he will be surprized.

i gotta chime in here, unless they've done updates since '04.

my girl has a '04 6 4cyl and it is so slow, so loud, and such a piece of crap. she's had so many problems with it, think she's on her 3rd alternator, it can't get out of it's own way on the highway...and when it does you can't hear yourself think it's so loud inside...and the killer is the turn radius. Wow! even she says her moms old Suburban turned better! she has a hard time getting into parking spots, she has to stop. reverse. and give it another go.

just my $0.02.

for some reason it seems the 3 is better, which is kinda weird.

the 3 is built in Japan and the 6 IIRC is built in Mexico. Not sure if that has anything to do with it the only 6 you can get that is built in Japan is the speed6.

I had one for a day not too long ago. Way too cushy ride. Overall seemed like a dog. Not too impressed.

I would agree with this-

I liked looks of it and the acceleration (v6 version) for a car in that price range new but an accord v6 6spd will own it and an RSX-S wont do too badly against it. I hated the ride/handling... I also drove accord v6, neon srt-4, wrx, and ended up buying our rsx-s. This was back in 03 all new cars. I liked the accord six speed but they wanted more money than the rsx-s and the rsx-s handled MUCH better. The wife has 115K on the car and the only thing we have had to fix on it is a driver side door lock actuator.

EDIT I thought all of the 6s were v6s- oh well disregard- the handling is still boring but I don't know what the 4 banger is like.