Mexican Travel?

JaSSon

Ok, what the hell is REALLY going on in Mexico? I've heard some blurbs on the news about how travel to Mexico is currently advised against due to skirmishes between drug lords and Mexican authorities. How bad is it really? I have a trip booked to Riveria Maya next month. Right now I am of the thinking that tourist traps such as Cancun and Riveria Maya will probably be safe.

Also, who else has been to Mexico? I need some pointers about traveling internationally. IE: Can I pack a folding knife in my checked luggage? Will I have trouble traveling with my laptop? Will I have any trouble bringing back souvenirs? Anyplace I HAVE to visit in either Cancun or Riveria Maya?

Ok, what the hell is REALLY going on in Mexico? I've heard some blurbs on the news about how travel to Mexico is currently advised against due to skirmishes between drug lords and Mexican authorities. How bad is it really? I have a trip booked to Riveria Maya next month. Right now I am of the thinking that tourist traps such as Cancun and Riveria Maya will probably be safe.

Also, who else has been to Mexico? I need some pointers about traveling internationally. IE: Can I pack a folding knife in my checked luggage? Will I have trouble traveling with my laptop? Will I have any trouble bringing back souvenirs? Anyplace I HAVE to visit in either Cancun or Riveria Maya?

From what I understand, the main tourist areas are pretty safe. A guy I work with went to Cancun a couple weeks ago and everything was just fine.

The knife should be ok. They'll give you a little grief about the laptop but, there's no real issue there. I can't say much about the souvenirs.

i had a buddy that went on his honeymoon last october. they stayed at a resort in the riveria maya. he said it felt safe, although they didnt leave the resort much. I went to cancun a couple of years ago, same kinda deal. if you go to a area that doesnt feel safe leave, it is just like home, but miles away. i know most colleges are advising against mexican travel this year, due to violence, kidnapping and murders. most arent aimed at tourists though.

tom

Cancun and Riviera Maya aren't actually Mexico, but rather a touristy area of Mexico. So you should be fine.

I wouldn't pack a knife you don't want to lose, it is fine to carry one in a checked bag but customs on the other side can use it as a reason to single you out.

You can travel with a laptop, but remember to bring a cable lock with you as you probably won't have the laptop with you the whole time. I locked mine to the toilet.

Get some shots before you go, buy some florastor, avoid drinks with ice (suggest beer and bottled water).

My wife and I went to Cancun and stayed at the Fiesta Americana (one of,if not the nicest resort in Cancun) a couple of years ago.They told us then as Americans they did not recommend that we leave the hotel property unless we were in a group of 4 or more or accompanied by a hotel employee.

most arent aimed at tourists though

most aren't but enough are. my roommate's from san diego, says there's constant stories about groups of tourists getting caught up in the crossfire, even some getting beheaded. shit's crazy.

then again that's the baja.

Cancun and Riviera Maya aren't actually Mexico, but rather a touristy area of Mexico. So you should be fine.

I wouldn't pack a knife you don't want to lose, it is fine to carry one in a checked bag but customs on the other side can use it as a reason to single you out.

You can travel with a laptop, but remember to bring a cable lock with you as you probably won't have the laptop with you the whole time. I locked mine to the toilet.

Get some shots before you go, buy some florastor, avoid drinks with ice (suggest beer and bottled water).

I'll talk to my doc before I go and see what if any boosters/immunizations I need. What is florastor?

And defiantly gonna pack some OFF. I've heard about the bugs...

about as well said as it can get.

Tip: If you bring lots of cash, you can get out of any trouble you may get into.

I went to cancun two years ago and never had any problems myself. My brothers friend (who was completely shitfaced) got his money and shoes stolen by a taxi driver and dropped off at a walmart in the middle of no where.

Tip: If you bring lots of cash, you can get out of any trouble you may get into.

I went to cancun two years ago and never had any problems myself. My brothers friend (who was completely shitfaced) got his money and shoes stolen by a taxi driver and dropped off at a walmart in the middle of no where.

I bet the walmarts are exactly same too

wasnt as detailed as I hoped but basically in my republican point of view... mexicos problems with the drugs and gangs are directly related to the US since our money buys their drugs... we are responsible in finding a solution to their problem...

oh mexico is the kidnapping capital of the world? I think they said that...

Ive been to mexico 3 times love it.... would go again....

I just came from San Diego and Tijijuana is at war. You can HEAR gunfire at nights if your within a few miles of the border, also there is a constant wave of black hawk helos on patrol. Fighter jets also seemed a bit more prevalent in the area from about 2 years ago. Shit is hitting the fan in that particular area...

I just came from San Diego and Tijijuana is at war. You can HEAR gunfire at nights if your within a few miles of the border, also there is a constant wave of black hawk helos on patrol. Fighter jets also seemed a bit more prevalent in the area from about 2 years ago. Shit is hitting the fan in that particular area...

ihha tj.... haha that place was bad when i lived in sandiego... the place i went campin since i was a kid was few miles from the border an yea you can hear slight gun fire an always helos cruisin around ahh