E85 Who's running it.

thorne

I'm really thinking about going E85 this year.

I've got the injectors and the gas tank really anit a worry for a few years since guys are doing it. 300wtq can be had with e85 and 320+whp .

For those who run it do you run it all the time? Do you have problems finding it?

I looked into this, but Krogers is about the only choice to find it. I can't imagine they move alot of it and just don't like the idea of possibly getting old fuel. The time and effort into upgrading the fuel system further and worrying about consistantsy, I just don't feel it's worth the effort for most cars.

I looked into E85 last year. The up side to it is that it's a higher octane I believer around 102-103. So it’s kind of like running a mix of race gas. The down side is that burns less efficient so you go through more of, I believe it burns almost twice as much fuel; if not twice as much close to it. The other downside is that if you have it tuned on E85, and you fill up with regular (even 93-94 octane) your car will run like carp because it’s running hella rich on the regular gas. It could potentially do damage as well especially on boosted applications where you may use the higher octane to run more boost. No higher octane, the extra boost could cause a lot of detonating.

For my car it wasn’t the right path to go. Having a DD that runs on E85 was bad because E85 isn’t available at most places, and I didn’t want to have to worry about my tune if I wasn’t around a gas station that sold it, especially on hot summer days, with higher boost and intake temps. I’d have to remember to pull a shit load of timing when I filled up then the car would just run like ass and what’s the point.

I thought you were running it last year too? I've been running it since last May or so. Definitely not worth it if you're into trying to save some money, not with price gases now at least. At $4/gal it was a money saver. I just do it for the octane rating because I'm cheap.

Sometimes it can be a pain to start when super cold too. A pain as in cranking the car for 10 seconds sometimes.

As long as you stay in the Columbus area or go west you won't have any problems finding it. There are a ton of stations around us that have it, including the one on Sawmill (Kroger) like others mentioned. Most Kroger and Meijers gas stations have it.

Right, ethanol eats rubber. Natural rubber components haven't existed on any car made in the last 15 years.

I guess GM sending me to NYC for E85 hand-on training was a waste...

Do whatever you want with your cars.

I ran 1/3 E-85 the last two years. Noticable difference in how clean the engine was inside. This year I am getting E-98. I will blend it with race gas. I found when tuning it took right at 30% more fuel in a direct ratio of how much was used. Its not that big a deal to change a tune to go back to pump gas.

Probably not for most but the increase in performance is worth it IMHO

I do have some questions about tuning it. FOR standard driving do i need to set the car to target the stoiche of e85? I've never tuned e85. I've got more reading to do for sure.

Something new to learn.

No. Stoiche lambda of gas and E85 is 1 so you don't need to change anything. So when your AFR gauge reads 14.7 that's stoiche for E85... if that makes sense. Basically tune for the same AFRs as you would for gasoline except with the advantage of a higher ethanol rating, you may be able to run leaner to net more power.

No. Stoiche lambda of gas and E85 is 1 so you don't need to change anything. So when your AFR gauge reads 14.7 that's stoiche for E85... if that makes sense. Basically tune for the same AFRs as you would for gasoline except with the advantage of a higher ethanol rating, you may be able to run leaner to net more power.

Make perfect sense. I always forget that MY WB is a Lambda gauge and its what setting I set in the LC-1 to show 1 as 14.7. Ray messaged me a bit of info to.

Run Leaner More timing = profit

I've just looked at people who have already done shit and they are getting anywhere from 20-50 more whp. I'll keep posted after I start the retune. Now I'm very happy I'm sitting on 800cc injectors.

stoichiometric air fuel ratios

unleded gas 14.7 not race gas

methanol 6.4

ethanol 9.0

lpg propane 15.5

cng 17.2

the9.0 is proably assuming 98% ethanol or e98 but no leaner than a 10 on e85 id imagine. ive yet to tune the turbo motor with the wideband but i will post where it is.

I never said stoichiometric for E85 was 14.7. I said it has a stoichiometric lambda value of 1, just as gasoline, so when you are looking at your AFR gauge, and it reads 14.7, you are stoich whether is be gasoline or E85. If you decide to run E85 and try to tune for 9:1 and lower, say goodbye to your rings.

I don't think the AEM has a way to view the AFR for ethanol, especially not a blend like E85. With that being said, you wither leave it on the default AFR display and tune it to gasoline AFRs or change it to a lambda readout.