94 AWD Bravada Rolls in park

Browning

1994 Bravada 4.3 Auto

Haven't had it long. Came out the other day and it was up against a small tree in the driveway. It's not rolling fast, it moves very slowly, ie. rolls stops, rolls, stops(kinda like a standard will do)

I've never seen an automatic do this, and had a few people mention something about a pin in the transmission? It doesn't do it all the time either. Yes, I'm 100% certain it's not user error lol

Front driveshaft is out of it(makes a noise with it in) but I don't se that having any effect on it.

Jeep had a problem with this' date='the park saftey switch or something was letting the car roll while in park.[/quote']

Was it something that is inside or outside of the transmission? I'm hoping it turns out to be a somewhat easy/inexpensive fix. Thank god the e-brake works lol

Guest Removed

i think it can be fixxed with out taking the trans out

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/4L60e.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/4l60epartlist.gif

at most you would have to pull the transfer case. unless the paw is striped then you might have to remove the trans.. but if you can drop the pan and adjust it..do it.

or with it bieng allwhell drive it might be like the old chevy trucks using the front till it gets 35 mph and the switches to rear , with the front drive shaft bieng out there is no way to hold it . might check into that .

How would I go about checking this out without putting the front driveshaft back in?

Thanks for the diagram Gearhead, not sure I feel comfortable tearing this apart though.

Guest Removed
or with it bieng allwhell drive it might be like the old chevy trucks using the front till it gets 35 mph and the switches to rear , with the front drive shaft bieng out there is no way to hold it . might check into that .

if that was the case, it wouldnt hold at all

IMO, it sounds like it just barely hitting the parking notchs, and its just slipping by it..

more than likely this is not transmission related.

AWD transfercases are different than 4WD transfercases. they MUST have both drive shafts in or they will roll since the rear drive shaft isn't locked to the transmission like a normal 4WD. when they are in park the transmission parking paw is locked and if you have it racked up you can turn both drive shafts and wheels freely. if you notice if you get the chance to do it then the front and rear wheels turn opposit of each other. thats how it keeps from rolling.

Thanks for all the help every one. I'm going to mess with it some today, starting with the driveshaft since that needs put back in anyways.

Another question AJ, if you don't mind? It doesn't roll every time it's in park and on a hill. It seems like it only does it when you're not wanting it to lol. If it is because the driveshaft is out, wouldn't it do it every time? I was wondering this with the parking pawl as well. It's not very consistent