Landlord Files for Bankruptcy

r6allstar

So I recieved a nice birthday present from my landlord. He informed me that he had filed for bankruptcy (chapter 7). So I am having to look for somewhere to move to here soon. Kinda pisses me off that he started the process back in October and supposedly everything is going to be finalized in February. Dont get me wrong, i understand why he would wait, but it still doesnt make it right.

Anyone know much about this stuff? Does the bank just boot me out or do they charge me rent or what?

Sucks dude... you could always just squat (rent free) in the apartment until they physically remove you. I dunno if that would affect your credit or not?

I wouldn't do that, but I know some pretty scummy people that have pulled it off before. Different situation though.

So I recieved a nice birthday present from my landlord. He informed me that he had filed for bankruptcy (chapter 7). So I am having to look for somewhere to move to here soon. Kinda pisses me off that he started the process back in October and supposedly everything is going to be finalized in February. Dont get me wrong, i understand why he would wait, but it still doesnt make it right.

Anyone know much about this stuff? Does the bank just boot me out or do they charge me rent or what?

Let it be known, I am not a lawyer. I am a landlord though, and this is what I have seen happen. It depends on what the bank wants to do. I have seen instances where the landlord (the bank in this case) allows the tenant to finish out the lease. It all depends on what the bank is going to do with the property. Incidentally, I would ask your current landlord about any security deposits you may have given. You may want to speak to an attorney about this if your security deposit is significant. PM me if you want to talk to a lawyer, I have a good landlord - tenant guy who is very reasonable.

Nick and I (APCH8R) are looking for a roomate if your interested its pretty cheap and we have a garage. Ohh and its not to far from you now were off henderson.

Eh, not with a g/f and 3 pets lol. I appreciate the offer though!

Let it be known, I am not a lawyer. I am a landlord though, and this is what I have seen happen. It depends on what the bank wants to do. I have seen instances where the landlord (the bank in this case) allows the tenant to finish out the lease. It all depends on what the bank is going to do with the property. Incidentally, I would ask your current landlord about any security deposits you may have given. You may want to speak to an attorney about this if your security deposit is significant. PM me if you want to talk to a lawyer, I have a good landlord - tenant guy who is very reasonable.

I am no longer under and lease with the current landlord, just month to month. The landlord claims now that he will be returning my security deposit this week but I will believe it when I see it. As for the lawyer, I dont currently have the extra money to pay for the consultation. Why I was looking for some free advice here.

I think I am just going to start looking now and wait for the sheriff to show up and give me my 30 day notice. In the mean time just try and save up some money for the next place.

Eh, not with a g/f and 3 pets lol. I appreciate the offer though!

I am no longer under and lease with the current landlord, just month to month. The landlord claims now that he will be returning my security deposit this week but I will believe it when I see it. As for the lawyer, I dont currently have the extra money to pay for the consultation. Why I was looking for some free advice here.

Okay, gotcha. I was under the impression that you were still within the contract period. As a month to month, you should get your security deposit and find a new place. I wouldn't wait to be evicted. If you are trying to rent again, your name would show up in court records of the eviction. Even though it wasn't for non-payment, some landlords would possibly not rent to you because of that.

As an aside, I wasn't trying to sell any law services, I just didn't know the situation. Sorry.