mustang 5.0 help...

Stimmel1647545512

I have an 88 GT 5.0 car stock long block with explorer intake long tubes no major mods, the other day I was driving the car on the freeway and it started to surge really bad, tach was going crazy dropped to 0 with car still running, it has plenty of gas in in and has had no major or even minor changes for that matter in the last 8 months and car has been great till now, eec relay was fine cleaned the ground by the ecu but still did it after that for the first min of driving again then drove 15 miles home didnt do it again, any idea whats goin on here?

if any other factors or info is needed feel free to ask

Today

Took the TFI module to napa and they tested it for me came up bad said replace I saw it myself, so replaced the TFI module fired up the car let it idle then drove it stalled at the end of my driveway.....drove back to the garage let it sit no problems after it fired right back up, took it for a spin first corner I take car stalls.........fires right back up cruize the neighborhood for 20 min with no problems what so ever, go to get food car runs strong sounds good idles fine in the drivethrough bout 20 mins have passed and on the way hom it surges again a lil bit tach drops from 2k to bout 88 then smooths out no prob, take the car home and park it now here i am..what to look for next???

Ford had a tap and wiggle test. Or maybe bootleg test, but has worked for me here and there.

with car idleing. tap lightly with the handle of a screw driver on each sensor

( does it have a mass air flow, or Map sensor?) I'f mass system i would suspect the mass air flow sensor...

If the tap test does not show any bad sensors, the lightly pull on the conectors of each sensor.. Might also have a issue with the pick up in the dist. (thats what the module goes into.)

just a couple places to start to look.

Mike

I

it surges again a lil bit tach drops from 2k to bout 88 then smooths out no prob,

When was it at 2k do you have the idle se that high? Chould be a sticking IAC in addition to the tfi. Also what codes is it poping? do you have the egr plugged with the new inake or what is the deal with that? have you had it chiped and tuned with these new parts? I know the map can have a hard time with mods might be having a issue there

I have a NON mass air car TPS and iac and new within the year, I was cruzing at 2k rpm, codes were 67 and 85 hooked back up the charcol canister and 85 went away, car has new TFI as of today and its only messing up real randomly. so kinda no way to check the fuel pressure unless someone has a fuel pressure guage I can monut on the hood, also car has a bbk 255lph pump in it with only about 4k miles on it if that...

could possibly be the pick up coil in the distributor might swap in a new distributor dont really want to tho (short on cash)

also the car has had the current mods on it since summer with no problems

sounds like a tps short. biggest thing you can do is check your wiring. with it being as random as you say it is im thinking its a short of some sort. Also speed density cars have a set idol from ford and could be early signs of a ecu failure

Guest Removed

i told you what you needed to start with on the phone..

the tools are here if you want the help, and if i need to move stuff this weekend, your going to be helping me too.

i told you what you needed to start with on the phone..

the tools are here if you want the help, and if i need to move stuff this weekend, your going to be helping me too.

yea i know just seeing if any fellow mustangers have had similar problems bring the thing with you to my place tommorw if you can ill be driving the mustang up there maybe we can look at it and if you need help with anything you know ill lend you a hand man