Measuring Body Fat?

Main3s

From what I understand the only 100% way to do it is in a pool. I bought an Omron electronic hand held unit that my trainers use and they said it is pretty close. It was 30 bucks on ebay. You have to make sure though that you eliminate the variables of water intake, heart rate, ect. I do it in the morning right when i wake up and dry. If I do it at night after water, food, or getting out of the shower, it effects the readings.

From what I understand the only 100% way to do it is in a pool. I bought an Omron electronic hand held unit that my trainers use and they said it is pretty close. It was 30 bucks on ebay. You have to make sure though that you eliminate the variables of water intake, heart rate, ect. I do it in the morning right when i wake up and dry. If I do it at night after water, food, or getting out of the shower, it effects the readings.

Yep that's what I read too. I saw the hand held ones, but I wasn't sure how accurate they were. I guess they don't need to be spot on, it's not like I'm training to be a pro body builder or anything but I'd like it to be as close as possible.

If you're serious that is dumb as fuck.

X2

Any of the ones that measure through your feet are way off. My handheld says that I am right around 15% and the one built into my scale says around 26%. From what I understand a lot of the reading you get is formulated from your height and weight which you have to enter in previous to getting readings. I wouldnt put any amount of money on the Wii being anywhere close. It is a stretch as it is using the electronic ones. I use it mainly to keep track of progress. I dont care if it is 3% body fat off as much as I care wow i came down half a percent this week from my last reading.

X2

Any of the ones that measure through your feet are way off. My handheld says that I am right around 15% and the one built into my scale says around 26%. From what I understand a lot of the reading you get is formulated from your height and weight which you have to enter in previous to getting readings. I wouldnt put any amount of money on the Wii being anywhere close. It is a stretch as it is using the electronic ones. I use it mainly to keep track of progress. I dont care if it is 3% body fat off as much as I care wow i came down half a percent this week from my last reading.

Exactly. I could be 5'6" 250 pounds of straight muscle 3% body fat and the Wii would tell me I'm obese probably. :)

no that is very incorrect, getting measured by the use of the pool / bouyency can very quite a bit depending on how hydrated/dehydrated you are.

if you have allot of water in your system you will test a lower BF, if you are dehydrated you will test a higher BF, but you should be the opposite with the water in your system then what your told.

best way is calipers, taking averages, that will get you close.

but the mirror test is easiest.

here is a good guide.

http://www.podarco.com/fitness/content/view/65/96/

no that is very incorrect, getting measured by the use of the pool / bouyency can very quite a bit depending on how hydrated/dehydrated you are.

if you have allot of water in your system you will test a lower BF, if you are dehydrated you will test a higher BF, but you should be the opposite with the water in your system then what your told.

here is a good guide.

I understand there are variables to all of them, for instance doesn't temperature of your skin affect calipers. If your in a really cold room and your skin has tightened doesn't it affect the reading. I don't know much about any of the methods other than a little that I have read. I just always hear people preaching about the pool system > all.

I religously drink 1 to 1.5 gallons of water a day. At the end of the day if I was to test my BF on the monitor it reads way higher than what it does if I am dry in the morning.

We use the hand held one at Lifestyle Family fitness, it is acurate within 3% so if it says 16% you could be that or 13% or 19% but if you check in a month later and it says you are 3% less you have lost 3%.

This is what I use it for exactly.

BTW sent you a PM

here is a good guide.

Thanks, but like I said from the get go, this would be something I do at home, I don't expect to be spot on but at least something that I can feel good going off of.

Get a sharp knife and seperate it from your muscle. Put all of your fat on a scale and weigh it. Now, take the weight of your fat, and divide it by your total body weight.

Easy as that. And accurate.

Nice, but umm, I'll pass. ;)

The bioelectrical impedance or handheld is sending a small wave of electricity through your body and can vary by hydration level as well. Fat does not conduct the current as well as the muscle and with a large amount of water it can cause it to send more easily making the numbers off. There is not a 100% method period, barometric chambers and dunk tanks are suppose to be the most accurate. Skin Folds can be accurate depending on the person who takes the Folds. Best way is to be consistant on whichever, for being at home the impedance handheld would probably be the easiest to do, using calipers is about impossible to do on yourself, although you could have someone do it for you....I Agree just take pics or use a mirror and judge yourself

Justin