VW 1.8T Question - Engine Light On

Aesthetic_Influx

Yesterday on the daily commute to work my "fuel cap" dummy light came on. I had to look up what it meant at first, but after checking, the cap seemed to be tight. Later in the evening my engine light came on (not flashing, just solid). I panicked immediately and parked the car, and read the dusty owner's manual. After checking up on the VW Vortex FAQ, it seems that the coil pack could be one culprit, but there is no change in driving characteristics. However, I don't have access to any kind of scanner to get the code from the ECU.

Can anyone of you VW guys (or anyone at all) comment on the fuel cap being loose tripping the check engine light? I've seen it happen on my dad's 350Z and a good friend's VW before, so I am leaning towards that being the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Removed

very well could be a evap code you have like a po455 or so on.

gas cap could have failed or you have some sort of evap issue going on that is more then likely causing the MIL to come on. go down to auto zone and see if theres will read the codes. im not sure it will but you never know! most vw's take a certain scan tool to even pull codes.

Autozone read codes for my Audi 1.8T. Get the code, post the code, wait for answer.

There are a shit ton of things that can set the Engine light. In my experience, if the car isn't doing anything different, running poorly, making noise, smelling or smoking, there is no reason to panic. It's usually an emissions code.

Yesterday on the daily commute to work my "fuel cap" dummy light came on. I had to look up what it meant at first, but after checking, the cap seemed to be tight. Later in the evening my engine light came on (not flashing, just solid). I panicked immediately and parked the car, and read the dusty owner's manual. After checking up on the VW Vortex FAQ, it seems that the coil pack could be one culprit, but there is no change in driving characteristics. However, I don't have access to any kind of scanner to get the code from the ECU.

Can anyone of you VW guys (or anyone at all) comment on the fuel cap being loose tripping the check engine light? I've seen it happen on my dad's 350Z and a good friend's VW before, so I am leaning towards that being the issue.

Thanks in advance.

I could just vag the car if I had my cable...

Ill see if my buddy can get it to me tommrow and we can work on a day to check it.

i can tell you if your warranty is void:)

If shanton can't find a cable I have VAG as well. Should be available all day tomorrow, so let me know, I'll gladly scan the car and help you figure out what comes up.

BTW, if it was a coil-pack, you would definitely know.

Anyone want to let me borrow there cable for a day to play around with my Audi and all the Vag settings I would like to do. Windows, chimes, one click unlock, and one or two more but can't think of it.

Well, as of this morning the CEL is mysteriously off. Yet another self-fixing VW moment.

Prolly an 02 it will come back.

Not to jinx you. I cannot find my cable and it worries me, Hook this kid up that fault code will still be in there.

Now Im wondering what it is lol

Guest Removed
Prolly an 02 it will come back.

Not to jinx you. I cannot find my cable and it worries me, Hook this kid up that fault code will still be in there.

Now Im wondering what it is lol

i heard from will your vag is stinky and itchy :o