F150

grease monkey

I'm considering trading the nissan for a 06ish F150... looking at supercab, and supercrew cabs, 4x4, blah blah blah.... Drove some today. Was not impressed with the 4.6 v8, the 5.4 had loads more power.... Are there any major issues with them?? I know the 4.6 is pretty solid, but in that heavy truck it just isn't enough engine. I honestly don't know too much about the 5.4..... Thanks for the help!

Guest tbutera2112
So after 02 you don't have the two piece spark plugs....what year did they stop shooting out of the heads?

that is what he meant...i was told it didnt change until the 03 model year *for mustangs atleast*

I would recomend if you can afford just a few dollars more to go with a 3/4 ton. You will be able to haul awhole lot more then the 1/2 and all in all they are alot heavier trucks and alot stronger.

I completly agree with sam here, We originaly started out with a f250 with the 5.4V8 and it seemed to struggle with our 2 car trailer with just 1 car on it. (trailer weighs 4,xxx LBS car was a gutted 86 Toyota corolla) it would work fine but the truck just didnt like accelerating nor braking at all.

we upgraded to a 02 F250 with the 7.3L TD and this truck pulls the 2 car trailer with my SC300 on it + any other car + 3 sets of wheels tires, Tent, tools, and anything i need for my events without struggling at all, not to mention it gets great fuel millage doing so.

]

02 and down had the issue with spitting plugs out of the heads. There was only like 4 threads that held the spark plugs into the heads. Ford redid the later heads on the 2 valves to eliminate that.

The 3v started in the 04. The 04-07 trucks and runs the 2 piece spark plug that likes to seperate in the heads upon removal. As long as the plugs are pulled early and antisieze is applied to the tapered seat right below the crimp, the chance of them breaking on removal goes way down.

Here is a pic of the 3 valve plugs. The one on the left is a Autolite HT1 with 20k on it that had the antisieze on it prior to installation. The one in the middle is a new Autolite HT1 and the one on the left is the one piece Brisk that went into the truck the first plug came out of.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/DSC02342.jpg

The 3 valve motors are alot stronger than the 2 valves. I drive an 05 crew cab for my daily driver. It has 75k on it and the only problem I have ever had with it was the original plug removal at 30k when the blower went on.

good advice guys, thanks. So basically, I need to change the plugs as a priority, and use a little anit-sieze as you should anyhow when changing plugs.... and its all good to go.

I did look at the F250, but it's honestly more than I need. Hell, I'd keep the nissan if it quit fucking up all the time, and was a little larger.... Really just need more room...

good advice guys, thanks. So basically, I need to change the plugs as a priority, and use a little anit-sieze as you should anyhow when changing plugs.... and its all good to go.

I did look at the F250, but it's honestly more than I need. Hell, I'd keep the nissan if it quit fucking up all the time, and was a little larger.... Really just need more room...

Absolutely. It is more important to have the antisieze on the tapered crimp than it is on the threads in the 3v motors. I run the one piece Brisk's in my truck. They are a little more expensive but they wont break and you dont have to have any special tools to gap them.

^^^what he said. I have an 04 F150. I am afraid to change the plugs in mine. The manual says they are 100K mile plugs. I'm at 42K right now.

If you buy an 04 - 07 truck from a stealership, ask them to replace the plugs with the one piece design BEFORE you sign any papers. You don't want to have to pay for that repair later.

I own the 4.6 and it is a slug. Gas mileage was about 19 on the highway before the 22's but its all I needed.

If your looking at something to pull with I would go F250 with a turbo diesel. My boss has an 05 and that thing is a beast. It pulls all of work trailers with ease and when he sets his programmer to the race setting it boils the tires into second...

Good luck