Trans Shifting/Slipping

Dr. Apex

Very suddenly yesterday my tranny started slipping in my Pathfinder. The 2-3 shift seems to be slipping and happening too soon as well as the 3-4 shift. The shifting is oddly smooth and the tach jumps up and down as it slips and the tranny seems unwilling to downshift when I need to merge on the freeway or pass.

A friend said there could be a valve body or shift selonoid causing this?? I think it's too sudden for the bands or whatever they're called to be going out though I don't know shit about automatics.

Any ideas would be appreciated, Ben.

Guest Removed
could be a valve body or noid issue, but normally after something like that it hurts other parts in the trans, and more then likely need a complete rebuild...or just swap it out for a lower mileage one

Knowing my luck it will need rebuilt. I'm going to try pulling the pan and see if anything there can be replaced, pulling the tranny is a total bitch and I'll probably sell it for whatever I can get so I don't have the headache.

Guest Removed
Knowing my luck it will need rebuilt. I'm going to try pulling the pan and see if anything there can be replaced, pulling the tranny is a total bitch and I'll probably sell it for whatever I can get so I don't have the headache.

yeah pulling those is a PITA... dont ask me how i know:(

I talked to a guy yesterday that works on trannies for a living and when I told him what I drive he scoffed, usually not a good sign!!

There should be at least the valve body or something accessible from inside the pan right?? I'm told the selonoid is on the top of the transmission and again not accessible without pulling the trans.

Guest Removed

noids on top? wtf...who the hell told you that?

dont matter...any way all the noids should be in the valve body it sell.

i have all the diag info you would need on it

heres some quick info for you, i have to get back to work and finish mikes trans!

noids

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/shiftnoids.gif

placement

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/valvebody.gif

need anything else(theres tons of info on this in alldata)info wise, im sure i can help.