Anyone rebuilt a T-56?

dover

Just curious have you been beat by other 600 hp cars? I had my stocker with 10,000 miles and 460 hp and you should have seen it when I took it out. I didnt think that it was bad or slipping until I took it out and seen that it had def been slipping.

What all do you have done to your car?

not sure if its slipping?? i put down 590 rwhp with the current tune. 17k miles on the car (one owner), and i don't abuse the car at all. only been to the strip twice, and ran 11.5 at 126 as my best run, but had 11.6's and 11.7's.

i ran neck and neck with a 2.6 KB cobra this past weekend at the NMRA event, and he had a solid rear, and an auto---and had planned to spray a 75 shot--he must not have because he just barely edged me out, and we had hot/humid florida conditions. my car should be 11.2 with a better driver powershifting, and better tires.

the fact that i never powershift the car, only do burnouts at the track, and don't launch the car on the street at all, is why my clutch grabs like new to this day.

my car has high flow cats, bassani catback, K&N FIPK, and a whipple at 17psi, with cooling/fuel mods/mass air, subframes, springs, and an IRS brace--and a shifter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An auto is better for a turbo car drastically reducing spool time and increasing load. If he upgrades to the 88mm Hellion kit, a T-56 will be pretty pointless. The spool time would be laughably slow if he didn't run an auto.

I would upgrade to a 4R70W since I understand driving a turbo Cobra.

Yea I underdtand that but why would a street car need an 88mm turbo. Wouldn't a street car with that big of a turbo and a 3800 Stall still be pretty worthless. I am asking because I haven't owned a turbo'd cobra. That is what alittle bit of nitrous is for.

I see the sarcasm.

not sure if its slipping?? i put down 590 rwhp with the current tune. 17k miles on the car (one owner), and i don't abuse the car at all. only been to the strip twice, and ran 11.5 at 126 as my best run, but had 11.6's and 11.7's.

i ran neck and neck with a 2.6 KB cobra this past weekend at the NMRA event, and he had a solid rear, and an auto---and had planned to spray a 75 shot--he must not have because he just barely edged me out, and we had hot/humid florida conditions. my car should be 11.2 with a better driver powershifting, and better tires.

the fact that i never powershift the car, only do burnouts at the track, and don't launch the car on the street at all, is why my clutch grabs like new to this day.

my car has high flow cats, bassani catback, K&N FIPK, and a whipple at 17psi, with cooling/fuel mods/mass air, subframes, springs, and an IRS brace--and a shifter.

Thats crazy man. Nice.

I thought mine was good until it looked like somebody dumped a gallon of glaze on it.

I drive similiar to you. I learned the hard way about street racing in Virginia beach. Know I try not to do it.

Yea I underdtand that but why would a street car need an 88mm turbo. Wouldn't a street car with that big of a turbo and a 3800 Stall still be pretty worthless. I am asking because I haven't owned a turbo'd cobra. That is what alittle bit of nitrous is for.

I see the sarcasm.

Ok, I thought you just didn't know what you were talking about.

Dover said earlier he was thinking about going to Hellion's big kit in the future. If he really plans to do that, an auto is the only way to go.

I have owned a turbo Cobra and I would have gone auto.

Ok, I thought you just didn't know what you were talking about.

Dover said earlier he was thinking about going to Hellion's big kit in the future. If he really plans to do that, an auto is the only way to go.

I have owned a turbo Cobra and I would have gone auto.

Gotcha

I figure the 76 to be enough for now but I do think switching to either the 78GTS or something just alittle bit bigger would be a good idea. I still have all the nitrous stuff on the car from the prior setup so a quick spooling 35 shot is just a bottle away. I don't need an auto because I don't plan on making this a full drag car I still want to be able to take it out and enjoy driving it an slipping through the gears and not just throwing it in D and being on my way, I have an explorer for that task. I see though what your getting at Hal if I decide that it needs to just destroy people and times at the track I will for sure go with a built auto. My goal is 1000rwhp as of right now.

I figure the 76 to be enough for now but I do think switching to either the 78GTS or something just alittle bit bigger would be a good idea. I still have all the nitrous stuff on the car from the prior setup so a quick spooling 35 shot is just a bottle away. I don't need an auto because I don't plan on making this a full drag car I still want to be able to take it out and enjoy driving it an slipping through the gears and not just throwing it in D and being on my way, I have an explorer for that task. I see though what your getting at Hal if I decide that it needs to just destroy people and times at the track I will for sure go with a built auto. My goal is 1000rwhp as of right now.

check out modularfords website. a lot of guys who see limited track duty are even going auto--

i will go to the track only a few times per year, but am still looking at an auto. with a locking converter, and an overdrive--freeway cruising with normal rpms is a reality. many people are using autos that you still have to shift, since its easier to keep their stock computers and not deal with the hassle of having to get a computer to shift the auto. just something to think about--the auto will ultimately hold much more power, be more consistent, and faster than a stick.

Dover, contact Brandon at IPS and they will get in touch with RPM for you.

I think half of the T-56 cars on this fourm had them rebuild their trans, I know I did along with Sam, Matt, Sean, Garrett and many others.

What's the most power/torque one of these RPM built T-56's can handle?

Cool man, it's your car you should build it however you enjoy it.

If you need a hand with anything on it, let me know.

Dover, contact Brandon at IPS and they will get in touch with RPM for you.

I think half of the T-56 cars on this fourm had them rebuild their trans, I know I did along with Sam, Matt, Sean, Garrett and many others.

So if we went threw IPS would it be cheaper and if i got that plus wanted some stuff installed you think i would get a good deal?

^^IPS will give you a good deal but most important, they have plenty of experince and knowledge in the lsx drivetrain. Just let your goals be known and you'll be put in the right direction/setup.

Dover, here are so customers cars for example...this is just page 1.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/customers/rpmcustomers.htm

Plain and simple. You need to spend the money on an automatic transmission. You can sell your t56. Just get a transmission that has a manual valve body. I have to shift every gear in my car doesn't matter if it is up or down. I could take you a ride in my car if you like sometime. Most guys that make the switch wish they had made it sooner.

Guest Removed
Plain and simple. You need to spend the money on an automatic transmission. You can sell your t56. Just get a transmission that has a manual valve body. I have to shift every gear in my car doesn't matter if it is up or down. I could take you a ride in my car if you like sometime. Most guys that make the switch wish they had made it sooner.

very true, and if it wasnt for drive line breakage worries, then i would have done a stick.

You obvisouly dont have one.

I will stand by Spec until something flys apart on me. Also he doesn't have a 3+ he has a three. It is GOOD till 750. Yes that one does chatter but the 3+ does not chatter. Have you ever seen what a twin disk does to an input shaft on our cars. Not good I will post some pictures. For the cost the 3+ is the best out there.

Mike a good quality twin disk will run you upward to 1200 dollars. The one you have will last you for the 2 years if you treat it right. It will take some getting use to but you will be fine.

I always heard bad things about specs, after i toasted a centerforce dual friction, i took a chance on a spec 3+ and love it. I have had no issues with it

I was looking at his graph a lot today, what he has now is just fine.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about cars since selling my stuff. It's not about how fast you are or anything like that, it's about what makes you happy. From Dover's posts, he is happy with it. If that's the way he likes it, more power to him. If he wants to dig everyone and build boost like crazy, he'll know what to do.

The only reason I did the turbos is because I thought I needed to be stupid fast. I thought I needed to be able to compete with guys like Linn and Sam. That stuff is cool for them, I just didn't enjoy the car anymore. I would hate to see someone else end up like that.

I was looking at his graph a lot today, what he has now is just fine.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about cars since selling my stuff. It's not about how fast you are or anything like that, it's about what makes you happy. From Dover's posts, he is happy with it. If that's the way he likes it, more power to him. If he wants to dig everyone and build boost like crazy, he'll know what to do.

The only reason I did the turbos is because I thought I needed to be stupid fast. I thought I needed to be able to compete with guys like Linn and Sam. That stuff is cool for them, I just didn't enjoy the car anymore. I would hate to see someone else end up like that.

this is what i struggle with every day. i know my car is just a few small things away from 10's, but i don't want to ruin the enjoyment i get out of driving it anywhere i want like a completely normal daily driver. its tempting to swap to an even bigger blower and an auto, but i would hate to have to swap it back if i didn't like it.

You guys don't know what your missing. There are plenty of guys that said they would never go auto. They switched and wished they had done it before wasting all the money on the t-56. My car is a blast to drive. I did swap back to the 5-speed a couple years ago when my automatic was broke. I hated it. I sold the 5-speed after getting the automatic back. My car runs high 10's with about 11psi and it is just a 2V 4.6. You have very little lag and 0 lag when shifting.

You guys don't know what your missing. There are plenty of guys that said they would never go auto. They switched and wished they had done it before wasting all the money on the t-56. My car is a blast to drive. I did swap back to the 5-speed a couple years ago when my automatic was broke. I hated it. I sold the 5-speed after getting the automatic back. My car runs high 10's with about 11psi and it is just a 2V 4.6. You have very little lag and 0 lag when shifting.

Yes, I do know what I'm missing. I probably will go auto in the future just because I want to. That's not the point at all though.