Anyone rebuilt a T-56?

dover

Well now that things are starting to get crazy with the car. I think it's about time to do some preventative stuff to my T-56. I was wondering what people have done to these to make them stronger. This is what I have decided to go with so far:

T56 Steel 3-4 shift fork with bronze fork pads

Bronze shifter bushing/isolator

Billet Keys for 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, R

Bronze Fork Pads for 1-2

Forged Steel TOB Retainer Sleeve

Anything else I'm missing here? Please feel me transmission guru's.

For now I'm sticking with the 10 spline input shaft and have a Spec Stage 3 with aluminum flywheel.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

send it out to get it done, and upgrade to 26 spline input shaft and a twin disc clutch---if you don't go with a 26 spline, then you honestly should not upgrade anything at all in the tranny, as that is clearly the weakest link. or go auto. i'm tossing both ideas around right now as we speak--my car's been at near 600rwhp for two years now with the stock IRS and stock clutch/tranny--time for some upgrades.

RPM transmission can rebuild your transmission for a good Price Mike (I can also make you a deal on a whole swap/ clutch package price that will make it a little easier on the back pocket), and the 10 spline shaft will break/twist like others mentioned.

-Brandon

Sounds good, I'll give you a call brandon and see what we can do. I have read bad things about the life of the twin disks, all i have heard is good from the spec stage 3+. Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

Spec 3 is nice but I would look around on ModularFords.com for clutch ideas. A lot of guys on there seem to like the Ram clutches on our cars.

If you're going to dump money into it with your setup, I really would suggest dumping the T-56. A 4R70W would be a hell of a lot better in a single turbo car. It would also allow you to upgrade easier to the 88mm in the future.

Contact Lidio at Alternative Auto. He was going to do mine for a good price.

If you'd like to talk more about it, I'll be at Dynotune Saturday afternoon. I've looked into a lot with the transmissions in these cars.

I still haven't broken down to wanting to doing the 4R70W swap, it's not going to be a full blown drag car and I will miss banging through the gears if I get rid of it. I just need a solid T-56 for the power I have.

I still haven't broken down to wanting to doing the 4R70W swap, it's not going to be a full blown drag car and I will miss banging through the gears if I get rid of it. I just need a solid T-56 for the power I have.

Manual valve body FTW lol.

Well now that things are starting to get crazy with the car. I think it's about time to do some preventative stuff to my T-56. I was wondering what people have done to these to make them stronger. This is what I have decided to go with so far:

Bronze Fork Pads for 1-2

For now I'm sticking with the 10 spline input shaft and have a Spec Stage 3 with aluminum flywheel.

Dover, your build looks very similar to mine. I just recently had RPM rebuild my t-56 to the specs of there leve V and I too have the spec 3+clutch.:)

I actually was just talking to Brandon today at IPS about adding a adjustable master cylinder. Like Brandon said, they have great packages available, call him...:cool:

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/levelvt56.html

check this out^^^

will do.

i've heard good and bad about the spec stage 3+. its either "on" or "off"--no feathering the clutch. some chatter more than others, and either way, it won't reliably hold 1000hp. twin discs are not much more expensive when you figure the power they will hold, and the fact that they come with a flywheel.

Bronze Fork Pads for 1-2

Mike,

I will take care of you. Just tell me what you want the T-56 to do.

will do.

i've heard good and bad about the spec stage 3+. its either "on" or "off"--no feathering the clutch. some chatter more than others, and either way, it won't reliably hold 1000hp. twin discs are not much more expensive when you figure the power they will hold, and the fact that they come with a flywheel.

You obvisouly dont have one.

I will stand by Spec until something flys apart on me. Also he doesn't have a 3+ he has a three. It is GOOD till 750. Yes that one does chatter but the 3+ does not chatter. Have you ever seen what a twin disk does to an input shaft on our cars. Not good I will post some pictures. For the cost the 3+ is the best out there.

Mike a good quality twin disk will run you upward to 1200 dollars. The one you have will last you for the 2 years if you treat it right. It will take some getting use to but you will be fine.

Spec 3 is nice but I would look around on ModularFords.com for clutch ideas. A lot of guys on there seem to like the Ram clutches on our cars.

If you're going to dump money into it with your setup, I really would suggest dumping the T-56. A 4R70W would be a hell of a lot better in a single turbo car. It would also allow you to upgrade easier to the 88mm in the future.

If you'd like to talk more about it, I'll be at Dynotune Saturday afternoon. I've looked into a lot with the transmissions in these cars.

I would keep the T-56 since I understand your need. How would that transmission upgrade a turbo easier? I am curious. Just a word on the spec 3+ it is good to 850 torque. I dont think you are going to hit that much. But I have been wrong alot. I will make some calls this week on the t-56

stock clutch, 600rwhp for the past 2 years with no issues.

i'm leaning more and more towards auto. i'll throw my IRS and 6 speed into one of my foxes.

I didnt think so. The chatter on the 3 isnt that bad either. It is the one that is either in or out. Not the 3+ solid disk over puck.

stock clutch, 600rwhp for the past 2 years with no issues.

i'm leaning more and more towards auto. i'll throw my IRS and 6 speed into one of my foxes.

Just curious have you been beat by other 600 hp cars? I had my stocker with 10,000 miles and 460 hp and you should have seen it when I took it out. I didnt think that it was bad or slipping until I took it out and seen that it had def been slipping.

What all do you have done to your car?

You could always just step up to a viper spec t-56

That would not do him any good.

Here is a good write up on the deal with the T-56. Mike check it out. I have a buddy in phoenix that might be able to get a damn good deal on some stuff.

I would keep the T-56 since I understand your need. How would that transmission upgrade a turbo easier? I am curious. Just a word on the spec 3+ it is good to 850 torque. I dont think you are going to hit that much. But I have been wrong alot. I will make some calls this week on the t-56

An auto is better for a turbo car drastically reducing spool time and increasing load. If he upgrades to the 88mm Hellion kit, a T-56 will be pretty pointless. The spool time would be laughably slow if he didn't run an auto.

I would upgrade to a 4R70W since I understand driving a turbo Cobra.