Turbo S-10 pics

tomcowle

Here are some engine pictures of a 1991 S-10 I did and then re-did this winter. Owner originally wanted a single turbo then switched gears then wanted a twin-turbo. There are a few things to revise (radiator hose, powdercoat coldside intake and tune) but it started and ran under its own power this weekend.

Quick Specs:

406" chevy

GMPP "Fastburn" 210cc heads

Steel crank

H-beams

JE slugs

Blow-thru carb

60mm turbos

Turbo 400 trans

9" ford ladderbar rear suspension

315 mt drag radials

Street truck, hoping it runs 13.0's or better...lol

Version 1.0 mock-up for single turbo

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww328/tomcowle/earlyturboheaders2.jpg

Version 2.0 mock-up before coating

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww328/tomcowle/jimtwin.jpg

Version 2.1 start-up config

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww328/tomcowle/jimturbotwin.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
+1 on redo'ing the intake pipe. The merge needs to be lower. Need a straight shot into the carb for the best distribution between cylinders. Other than that it looks good.

plus 1..to many bends to close to the carb.

What?

Where your turbo outlets meet on the intake pipe, they need to be as far from the carb as possible. If you don't, the motor will have issues with proper fuel/air distribution between the cylinders. In other words you could possibly have a lean condition on one bank, and rich on the other.

I saw this issue first hand on a procharged mustang on the dyno. He had the intake pipe slightly off to one side, and it caused nothing but problems. Just trying to save you the headache he went through trying to figure out what was going on.

1. redo intake piping

2. add another bov to second piping

3. powder coat everything

4. profit

5. /thread

The intake piping in the 3rd picture is pretty much the way its going to be other than adding the BOV.

One large TIAL bov is being used, centered before the hat. Owner wanted to hear the truck run and drive it a little prior to him leaving the area for a business trip. (made 14psi of boost)

I do my own powdercoating, so coating is not an issue

Guest Removed
Where your turbo outlets meet on the intake pipe, they need to be as far from the carb as possible. If you don't, the motor will have issues with proper fuel/air distribution between the cylinders. In other words you could possibly have a lean condition on one bank, and rich on the other.

I saw this issue first hand on a procharged mustang on the dyno. He had the intake pipe slightly off to one side, and it caused nothing but problems. Just trying to save you the headache he went through trying to figure out what was going on.

johns car :cool:

I always assumed both intake pipes needed to be the exact same

Your engine doesn't know any difference.

I did some SUPERSTOCK pulling tractor stuff a few years ago and there really is no great way and no need to make equall legnth pipes, these tractors are all in the 75psi and higher boost levels with 2 and 3 turbos.

Remember, this is a street driven truck and not some race-only deal so if a couple of horsepower is left on the table who cares? The guy wants to drive it and enjoy it, so thats how it was built. It shouldn't embarrass itself that bad even if it doesn't run up to its potential.