02 bonneville sle front end kind of shakey when going 60mph+ and even braking from 60

armin922

So its not really shaky but its jsut to the point where it gets kind of annoying. I just recently had alignment done, balancing done and i guess when the shop was doing that i think they said that the drivers side stabalizer bar link is broken. IDK if that may be the problem or not but not sure. I do need new rear brakes and rotors, so idk if that could be the problem as well? Do u think that would cause the front end to shake a little on the freeway? Or maybe they made a mistake balancing and aligning?

Guest Removed

could be bad balance, or a tire has went bad, any loose front end part like a wheel bearing, tie rod, ball joint so on, could cause it aswell.

end link being broke IMO wont cause a vibration

yeah i was told to switch the tires from the front to the rears and see if that makes a difference and if it does it could be the tires. Then if not and problems still there they told me to jack the front end up with the tires on and rotate/try to wobble the tires and see if theres any play. Sound about what i should do?

but if it shakes with out the brakes, it isn't becouse of your bad rotors.

And Ditto a broken sway bar link won't cause a vibration.

If the shop rotated and balanced and aligned it. Id take it back to them,

also Cupped tires will cause a vibration, and also a noise..

• 2 weeks later...
ok so im pretty sure its the front brakes. The steering wheel just shakes when i hit the brakes going 60mph or faster. But under that theres no shake. Someone told me the pads may be loose and or the rotor may be warped. Also when i stop the brakes feel like they pulsate. Like they jerk a little while coming to a stop. So im going to check on the brakes. However i jsut replaced them like 8 months ago.

Guest Removed
well that coulds be the issue. i have seen rust build up on the hubs where the rotor sit cause this as well. when replacing the rotors or turning them, make sure to clean the hubs very well and the insdie of the rotor hats where they mate to the hubs. and if the rotors are warped, make sure to check that the caliper, and mounting hardware is isnt sticking and causing drap, building to much heat in the brakes and causing them to warp.

Guest Removed
ok if they are warped should i take the pads off the caliper and make sure to clean it very well with brake clean? What would cause the rotor to warp?

well i normally run the pads on sand paper on a flat surface to help them seat to the rotors new surface. just enough to knock the glaze off them

most warpage comes either at a dirty hub, or lots of heat. and if there tons of heat like i was saying from the calipers or slider sticking, you'll see it in the face of the rotor. purple and blue spots where the pads ride, or a bright colored rust on the outside can alos show signs of heat.

i have also have seen rotors warp when they are hot, and getting hit with water from a puddle, or even washed at a car wash. or if it sits alot, rust could have built up on the rotors, and cause it was well. really hard to tell without looking at them.

but heat is a common place in brakes. to much is normally a issue.