Check engine light on a 94 Camry? Won't flash codes?

Trouble Maker

I followed this site to try to see what the codes are http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/ I found that method various other places also.

I tried both locations (drivers side in the car and engine bay), but the car won't flash any codes. Light stays on solid, no blinking. Anyone have another idea or know what's going on?

Yup. Only thing I can think is that the thorttel position idle close switch isn't closing. If I'm looking at the right thing... well it's hard to see. One one side of the throttle there's the cables and linkage, other side is TPS and that switch? Even with seeing it I would only be able to 'see' that it's being depressed, not that it's electrically closed (or open, whatever it being depressed menas). Anyways, seems like it's closing.

I can only assume the FI ECU won't go into diag mode if this isn't closed?

Car is exhibiting no issues. I drove it home on Friday night and when I went to turn the car off saw the light. Don't know how long it's been like that, but I usually pay attention to stuff like that, so it probably happened on Friday.

It's the 3.0L V6, AT, not that it should matter, but figured I would state it.

Guest Removed

connector on the drivers strut tower correct?

jumping the right terminals?

there is no obd2 connector under the dash?

i know with this one you can test alot thru the diag connector (taking a dvom and read what the sensors are putting out to the ecu

It's OBDI. If you look at that link you will see the two connectors. There is one under the dash and one in the engine bay (by the intake manifold, near the passenger side strut tower) I'm supposed to short two of the connectors and the check engine light is supposed to flash. I've tried shorting them at both locations (inside and engine bay) and it won't flash.

If you were talking about that second drawing, I don't think this car has that. I'm guessing that's for older cars. The ones in this car look like the top and bottom pictures.

I'm jumping TE1 to E1 (per those instructions) and the pinouts on those (and other) instructions match what the covers for the connectors on the actual car say.

Do you have the scan tool for this vehicle? I think BillDozzer may have one, not sure if what he has will do OBDI (Toyota specificd?) though. Maybe I will call him later.

Shizzel, I didn't read that top part. If this car is a pre-96 OBDII will it still have those same connectors (not OBDII standard connector)? If it is OBDII and I try to short those connectors, will it just not flash, like it's doing now? If it is OBDII, then it needs an OBDII scan tool with the correct harness to connect to this?

I will go out and check under the hood for the decal.

call me i worked at lexus for 6 years and im ase/lexus/toyota/and now vw cert

i have my own scanner here at home and i can ead your code for you

Thanks man, calling howie wowwie now to get your digits.

Thanks for that tip Gearhead.... the car doesn't have anything about emissions, OBDII or vacuum routing. I was under the impressions that OBDII cars had a big sticker about emissions and the vacuum tube routing related to emissions under the hood (what that site was referring to)?

Guest Removed

all i can say is some more then likely wont do it. like gm/ im sure they was playing with flash prom ecu and what not trying to get ready for obd2.

i know i can go to the connector and read some sensor data. its best to use a scan tool.

did you get it straightened out? I have a toyota connector around somewhere

Kind of.... I left the lights on the other night and killed the battery, which of course 'erased' the codes, and it hasn't came back yet. So I'm not going to worry about it if it doesn't come back.