sbc questions...

Bam

I'm looking at a car with a chevy 350, carb'd setup, basically stock.

What do these engines make hp/tq wise? What are they capable of?

If this isn't an engine to shoot for big power, like 400-500ish, what engine's swap out on the same mounts and will mate to a 700r4?

And how much power can a 700r4 trans handle?

Thanks

Not too sure I'd be keeping the drivetrain, but just trying to get a feel for what it's capable of?

I've been reading up on a mild 383 build or something similar...what trans would you guys recommend if I wanted a stick?

Pretty sure in '83 the optional 305 cu in V8 was rated at 150 hp. The 350 in the '83 Impala was only rated at 105 bhp (not the most sought after for SBC performance builds).

Yeah, that's what I figured. It was done on the cheap. But can I punch it out in a build, or should I start with something else, if so what? And are all the sbc's interchangeable on motor mounts and trans?

Exterior dimensions/mounting points are mainly the same on the blocks. Stock heads may be drilled differently for different accessory options (ie A/C etc). The block will probably be ok (depending on it's condition) for a rebuild, but you'll definitely want to get a better set of heads than what came on an '83 Impala if you want to achieve the numbers you mentioned in the first post.

Guest Removed

nothing stock will hold 4-500 hp very long stock. hell my dudes 300hp sbc eats 700r4's everytime he drives it

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700MegaRaptor.htm

that site has all the info on the 700r4 you could vere want.

now. a 83 sbc is JUNK IMO. not worth a core!

you can make 400hp easy with one of these motors with vortec heads, good intake, and a cam. with the stock short block(older style). a mild refreshed t350 trans can be upgraded to handle it all day.

its going to come down to want you want to spend!

Guest Removed
nothing stock will hold 4-500 hp very long stock. hell my dudes 300hp sbc eats 700r4's everytime he drives it

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700MegaRaptor.htm

that site has all the info on the 700r4 you could vere want.

now. a 83 sbc is JUNK IMO. not worth a core!

you can make 400hp easy with one of these motors with vortec heads, good intake, and a cam. with the stock short block(older style). a mild refreshed t350 trans can be upgraded to handle it all day.

its going to come down to want you want to spend!

btw this setup in a g body or s-10 so on, could rock out in low 12's all day long with the right setup!

Guest Removed
rob, what year block should i start with, and it does it matter which one, 305/350, etc?

granted you can stroke a 305 block, but it wont come close to CI of a 350.

call me.....ill blow your wig off with sbc talk. ive been tickling 10's spraying a stock bottom end in one. if the damn trans would have held up(stock t350) was beat to death .

Guest Removed
it's in an rx7, lol....fcftw!!!

shit you could rock 10's with mostly stock parts, but spraying it you will need to feed penlty of fuel to it...

theres just some things you cant skimp on if you want it to live

Guest Removed
cool, i'll give you a call this week, i definitely want 11's or better, all motor or with spray....not sure if i want to get the auto.

it will stay together longer, not as hard on the diff and way more consistant and cheaper

shit you could rock 10's with mostly stock parts, but spraying it you will need to feed penlty of fuel to it...

theres just some things you cant skimp on if you want it to live

fuck yeah! i'll definitely holler at you for some guidance, i've heard praise from many on your work. i'll need some help since i'm new to the carb shit.

Guest Removed
Big cube SBC & powerglide in an FC...hmmmm

406/2.00 glide, solid axle, slicks...on motor it would rock...but the one i did was a old school 79 7....:D

hell i think we had that thing running low 10's on motor...shit broke every time it got sprayed tho :( or there was no traction to be had :rolleyes: