X6,X5 M 4.4 TT specs

Craig

From Jalopnik

"Both the BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M come with a new V8 high-performance power unit boasting performance features precisely tailored to the character of each model. Displacing 4,395 cubic centimetres, the engine delivers maximum output of 408 kW/555 hp from 5,750–6,000 rpm. The new M TwinPower Turbo engine is indeed the world's first power unit with a common exhaust emission manifold joining both rows of cylinders as well as Twin Scroll Twin Turbo Technology. The turbocharger and the catalytic converters are positioned in the V-section between the two rows of cylinders ensuring the spontaneous and direct response so typical of BMW M as well as a linear surge of power for a consistent flow of torque at all times. As a result, peak torque of 680 Newton-metres or 501 lb-ft is maintained consistently all the way from 1,500–5,650 rpm."

"Performance and fuel consumption of the BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M:

Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 4.7 seconds

Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph) (275 km/h (171 mph) with optional

M Driver's Package)

Average fuel consumption in the EU cycle: 13.9 litres/100 kilometres

(equal to 20.3 mpg imp), CO2 emissions in the EU cycle: 325 g/km."

The spec that impresses me is "501 lb-ft is maintained consistently all the way from 1,500–5,650 rpm" from a TT motor. That is impressive. Now I want to see that in the M3.

I was thinking that as well Kirk, but I figure they've obviously thought about it as well.

At first when I heard the M division was doing SUVs I was a bit disappointed, but they've certainly made some very cool accomplishments here.

That is a smarter place for the exhaust, as heat rises. With proper extraction you could eliminate a lot of the heat produced by the exhaust/turbos, and keep it far away from the intake. In a rear engine setup, you could almost eliminate it entirely.