1987 Mazdaghini RX7 TII

,,,,,,comma,,,,,,

Guest Removed
I dont know much about rotaries. But on a normal car you take off the intake pipe, and spray starting fluid into the throttle body. If the car starts then dies down it is the fuel pump

see thats a double loaded statement. one he said nothing of starting fluid

two, most cars will start and die with the intake pipe off cause it wont see air flowing across the maf.

turn the key to the on position but dont start it, do you hear the fuel pump? if not obviously its that, but if so just leave it there for a second to let it prime, then try it, maybe the gas just needs to get thru the lines?

What I know:

The 1987 has a flapper door MAF sensor. It's common for "kids" to remove the stock air box and put a cone filter on the loose MAF. Because it is a flapper door, it has to be mounted level. I would first check to see it the MAF is mounted, and level.

You could pull the fuel line off of the secondary rail and key on to see if you are getting fuel. PLEASE unplug your EGI fuse before trying this!

Fuel pumps (walbro) are cheap and very easy to replace on these cars. lift up the trunk carpeting, unplug the connector on top of the access panel, and remove the 4 screws. Then use a small impact driver to remove the 8 fuel tank screws. If you try this with anything other than a Phillips impact driver you will fail miserably, as the screws will be rusted and they are made of very soft metal. You will have a bitch of a time trying to get vise grips on these tiny screws in that tight of a place. It's not a bad idea to hose the screws down with PB Blaster a day or so beforehand. Again, I STRESS, use only a small Phillips impact driver to remove the screws. Ignore this, and you will be very sorry! Also, you should only have the fuel pump housing/tank lid off for a maximum of half an hour, any longer and the gasket will shrink and you will spew obscenities trying to get the screws to line up.

You should also check the voltage at the fuel pump housing plug to see if you are getting proper voltage. It's common to see 2-3 volt drops at the pump.

...not that I know much about these cars :p

Edited by Rotarded