Thoughts?

KillJoy

You say that like it's a bad thing...

KillJoy

Touche. :p

I admit I don't understand the Harley thing. I like buying American, I like Willie G and Nancy (met them a few years ago), I like a brand with some heritage to it.

Yet, it's amazing to me how little you get for your dollar when you buy Harley vs. the rest of the world's bikes. Even Victory seems like a better deal to me.

When I'm out of state on my bike, and I stop at a rest area, I've found riders of all brands to be very friendly and helpful except for Harley riders, who seldom will even speak to anyone not riding a Harley.

So many of the Harley owners I know ride back and forth to the bar, or ride on a poker run, or ride to QSL on bike night, but do precious little riding beyond that. Yeah, some go on Interstate vacations once a year for a week when they rack up a few miles, but so many put only a couple thousand miles on their bikes a year yet at every opportunity they wear biker gear as if they were in a biker gang.

I admit, I don't get it. But that's why so many different brands and styles of bikes are successful, I guess. :)

I've had seat on a couple of Sportsters, and honestly, didn't like them. The bike just feels too small to me. I will admit that I would one day like to own a Street Glide, but the thought of dropping $19k on one really turns me off. Before you spend that kind of coin on a Sportster, consider the reason Harley offers (offered?) to give full paid price when you trade if you upgrade to a bigger bike... For the money, you can get a really nice V-Star or Boulevard.

I've had seat on a couple of Sportsters, and honestly, didn't like them. The bike just feels too small to me. I will admit that I would one day like to own a Street Glide, but the thought of dropping $19k on one really turns me off. Before you spend that kind of coin on a Sportster, consider the reason Harley offers (offered?) to give full paid price when you trade if you upgrade to a bigger bike... For the money, you can get a really nice V-Star or Boulevard.

I do NOT disagree..... however, I REALLY like how this Nightster sits, and the stance. It would need forward controls though :rolleyes: Other than that and the exhaust, this might actually be a vehicle I would not modify much! :D

KillJoy

I've got a 32" inseam, and the only Sporty I could almost get comfortable on was the Custom... The Custom gets a little more chrome, a slightly bigger tank, and factory forward controls. The bike just felt too small to me though. Found a VStar that suited me a lot better, and I could pay cash for it!

I may be selling my Mean Streak shortly, and I promise it is more fun in every way than any Harley I have ridden. :)

Spend a few minutes on Google looking for Mean Streak reviews. I don't think you'll find a bad review.

Mean Streak -

http://image.motorcyclecruiser.com/f/9404854/xl+2002_kawasaki_mean_streak_custom_1500+side_right_view.jpg

Road Star Warrior

http://www.freewallpapers.cz/motorcycles/images/Yamaha-RoadStar-Warrior-2003.jpg

I like the look of the Nightster and the XR1200. I am not a big fan of the orange paint scheme on the XR but do like the look of the bike as a take off of the competition bike.

I am with Doc, I don't get the whole Harley mystique. Of course, I don't get a lot of things in life but have learned to just accept them. Must be something that comes with age.

One nice things about Harley's is they seem to depreciate to a certain level and then hold their value as long as they are cared for.

I agree with not financing a toy, but if the motorcycle bug has bitten you, here are some Harley alternatives for you to check out.

Kawasaki

Mean Streak

Suzuki

M90

Yamaha Star

Warrior

Midnight Warrior

Any one of those offer arguably more bike than the Sportster at similar, if not less, cost.

Edited by Ziggy

i would rock it

It's funny you mention that..... because I now am! :D

I ended up picking up an '08 w/ Vance & Hines Pipes, Screaming Eagle Intake, and a V&H A/F Module. The previous Owner put Rear Pegs on :rolleyes:

I will be removing the Rear Pegs, and installing Forward Controls Today, and will post pics up shortly.

This little bike has a LOT more TQ than I was expecting! It is about the same weight as the Shadow 600 I had a while back, but TWICE the Motor!!!

:D

KillJoy