Need some rec. for the Nova

TurboNova

Ok well I have been putting together a motor for the summer on some cheap used parts, I need rear gear and carb recomendations.

1972 nova full weight

360 CID SBC

Comp XE294 Hyd flat tappet 519/523 dur adv. 294/306 lobe sep 110

World Sportsman 2 heads (stock 200cc 64cc 202/160)

Edelbrock performer rpm intake

Mech 110 gph fuel pump

I have a msd pro billet mech adv dist and 6al box and blaster 2 for ign

I picked up a nice th350 trans with a 3000 stall (not sure if thats enough?)

Now I am going to have will set up a rear end all I have thus far is the install kit I am still looking for posi unit but I am thinking 4.11 gears? mainly street/strip on friday nights only not driven a whole lot.

Carb I know I can go cheap and get a edelbrock, I know nothing about vacuum secondaries so I was going to stay mech sec but just want some recs

thanks guys

Guest Removed

heads are a tad on the big side IMO, for the mild cam and intake you have on it. a much better dual plane is out there that makes all kinds of power, thru the whole rpm range.

and the cams not so weak, just low on the lift numbers.

now with the 4.11's, what size tire you plan on running and how hard are you planning on spinning it? (rpm wise)

are you looking to build a max effort drag car thats streetable?

to be honest I am going to be building a bbc over the next 1.5 years, a nice planned out 496, I am just tired of that old 250 6cyl in the car lol. I put on some 255/60/15 radials on the car, I plan on just cruising and getting into it between lights.

I am thinking 4.11 would be a great gear for that cam and to get some use out of the heads.

this dyno from comp is damn close to my setup less the intake

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Camshafts/DynoSheets/XE294H-10_001.asp

I know there are some better dual planes but on my cheap budget I pieced alot together by wheeling and dealing and this intake came with my short block. and the heads I picked up for 400 and they sell for 550 each so could not pass it up.

maybe spinning max to 5500-6k

Guest Removed

750 holley..the bad about the dlebrocks carb is the jets sit in the bottom of the carb..i have seen cars fall flat on there face clicking second cause the fuel moves away from the jets...

255 60...how tall is it? 4.11 will wake it up, but that intak egives up around 5500, and if 1/4 is in mind, you may just be winding it harder then that..

get the actual tire hieght and use the calculators i posted in the tech help forum in the sticky at the top to help figure gearing.

sweet i appreciate it. So what holley 750? just a double pumper...or do you suggest vac sec? I have seen a few but trying to stay away from paying out for a new carb. Anyone rebuild carbs on here or at least go through to check them out? prices?

Guest Removed
ah well good question its going to end soon, whats a good going rate for a 750dp used in good order

yeah but is it in good working order ? thats the question..i got one once some fuck head drilled the air bleed out and i had to epoxy them in and redrill them ....i dont even want to talk about the carb...either way.i think im the only carb guy here

hmm maybe I should pony up for a new one. I have out of box carb exp. I have owned a mighty demon. a qfuel q series, and a edelbrock. I just hate buying another new carb....

this guy says this is brand new.....

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/1119433682.html

Edited by TurboNova
link

yeah but is it in good working order ? thats the question..i got one once some fuck head drilled the air bleed out and i had to epoxy them in and redrill them ....i dont even want to talk about the carb...either way.i think im the only carb guy here

Well there might be another carb guy here...I am not sure about the motor you are building now...but when you go to build that 496...let me know, i may some info for you...also check out a KB Carb..expensive but good..

Guest Removed
never had vac sec. are they good or bad to look into for my engine

they are great for a light car. 100 different ways to tune it and build it any way you look at it

Guest Removed

and like i stated...a healthy 496(aka big head roller cam and so on) will need more. 850 will do fine for street duty if set up right.

i know one i was working with had a 950 pro on it, and the car picked up a ton in the 1/4 with just the intake and a 1050 out of the box. ;)

Guest Removed
not sure on power numbers..but it went from 11 teens with the 950 to high 10's with a 1050 and a adaptor...then it went mid 10's when they finally stocked the brodix 4500 intake,once the carb got dailed in.. and that was a 3400lb g body, with a turbo 400, 9" etc etc..

Fiero, sounds like a nice combination for a street/strip car, clean up that intake a little and your fine. If you can swing it, get a HVH SuperSucker 1" spacer and that will add some needed plenum.

4.11's would be my choice for your set-up on gears.

750dp holley would be ideal, cheap/easy rebuild kit it and your racing. 2nd choice 750vac sec with an adjustable spring kit.