DSM is down.

JaSSon

I parked the car on 3/20 and it was running fine. I went to start the car on 3/29 after I returned from vacation and it wouldn't start. Actually it started and idled for about 2 seconds, then died, THEN nothing. While cranking the car makes kind of a puffing sound.

So far I have made sure I have fuel. The fuel pressure gauge reads like 40psi after cranking, the pump does come on, and I could smell fuel when I pulled the plugs.

I have also verified that I have spark. Having fuel and spark I rented a compression tester from Autozone.

Here are my results for the compression test: Cylinder 1 60psi, cylinder 2 45psi, cylinder 3 70psi, cylinder 4 30psi. I know all 4 of those numbers suck and 2 and 4 extra suck, but I have trouble believing a running car suddenly lost compression whilst parked during vacation. I also don't think the motor somehow jumped timing. I hear no PTV noises during cranking. I think the Autozone gauge sucks. Does anyone have a better compression tester or a leakdown tester I could use?

Any more ideas?

Car is a 93 manual AWD eclipse.

Guest Removed
compression could be low due to the cylinders being washed down with fuel. or heavy carbon on the back of the valves.. do a wet compression test and see if it come up

Good link mang!

Ahh, I didn't pull the MPI fuse. Bet the cylinders are washed down now! :lol:

I'll try a wet test next chance I get. Would the fact that the car hasn't run since 3/20 and thus I can't get it to operating temp effect my readings also?

Pull the MPI fuse do another compression test I believe stock comp numbers for that motor is like around 150-160 and service limit is anything below 110psi

so the leaking caps can be ruled out since you replaced them.

does the tach move when try and crank the car? depending on the tach moving that could mean a bad ecu.

check the cam angle sensor, it could of slipped out of adjustment or went bad, I may have a spare one out in the garage if you want I can swing out tomorrow or Sunday to help diag if you havent gotten the car running

A friend of mine had a very similar issue with his 90 TSI Talon. He drove it work and everything was good. When he started it after work, it fired and ran for about a second or two and then died. Once we tore into it, we found the timing belt was loose and 8 bent valves. The timing tensioner randomly took a shit and the belt came loose and that was that.

that belt doesn't have to be loose to have wasted the head it could have just slipped make a paint mark on the belt and turn the engine over by hand one full turn and look for missing teeth it doesn't have to slip much to bust shit up

I checked for missing teeth already. That was one of the first things I thought of. But it never made any noises like it was eating its own valves, and the spark plugs were undamaged. I tried to start it Friday before leaving for Myrtle beach (posting from hotel now, bout to go to beach!) and it actually fired, ran for 2 secs then promptly died again. It's GOTTA be a bad sensor me thinks.

Anyone have a crank position sensor I could use for trouble shooting?

Guest Removed
He lives across the street from me, your so close now he should just have you come get it :D

id be more then happy to check it over for him. that is on him ;)