5.0 Help

Stimmel1647545512

I just did the 3g alternator swap on my car using the write up here http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/130a-tech.html everything went together great and the car ran great everyhting on at idle no loss of volts on the stock or autometer gauge.

drive the car today fires right up take it for a drive everyhting great, go to put it into the garage as right as I start it up the amp light comes on and stays on has a good alternator on it all connections are good car only starts if i charge the battery on the charger then if it let it run for a while it just dies.

Rob- I figured you were busy and didnt want to bother you like I usually do

Guest Removed

i would have to say, either you wired it wrong from this

1. Locate the point where the pair of MAIN wires (black/orange) join and become one.

2. Cut at intersection., leaving one MAIN wire.

3. Splice in new piece of 10 Gauge wire, solder, and use heat shrink tubing to insulate.

4. Test fit wire to alternator MAIN lug, trim as needed for good fit.

5. Crimp and solder on screw-terminal, use heat shrink tubing to insulate as needed.

6. Install screw lug on MAIN screw terminal. Once tight, slightly bend screw lug away from alternator housing.

7. Cut stator wire 2" from factory oval plug. This cut frees the factory 3-prong spade connector which can be discarded.

8. Splice in new stator connector, solder, use heat shrink to insulate.

9. Apply wire loom, plug in connectors, tie wrap as needed.

have you taking if off and tested it? after the install?

The one dave gave me made some noise but tested bad at the shitty advance but good at napa I got another one it tested good at napa as well.

the car only starts after the battery is charged then thrown in the car them shortly dies, just got back from napa battery tested good

then i would have to say the alt is the issue,

so you ran 8 gauge right to the battery?

No, I either missed it or it wasnt in that right up im about to do that now, I have a ton of 4 guage wire im about to run it from the solenoid/battery to the back of the alternator i guess

Guest Removed

well go back over all the steps in the write up...

i dont like using oem wiring when upgrading this type of stuff. im thinking your not getting voltage to and from the alt due to this. just like on a 1 wire install. i like to run 1 big wire that will handle more then what the alt will put out and run it right over to the battery side of the solenoid.

Guest Removed
So Rob what you are saying is totally discard the old wire on the back of the 3g and run a new heavy wire from the back post of the alternator to the positive battery terminal or the solenoid positive side or does it matter?

IMO that would be best, but first check and see if you are even getting power at the main wires at the alt...make sure the battery is charged, and if you have a DVOM, that would be best to start with. before just throwing more parts at it :p

try the ignition switch like i said.

I will in the morning they are only 11 bucks, but that doesnt explain why the battery light is on????

If that fixes the problem I will strap that 40 foot ladder to the mustang and drive it over man, I am SO MAD at this thing

No car for me = FAIL

Guest Removed
I will in the morning they are only 11 bucks, but that doesnt explain why the battery light is on????

If that fixes the problem I will strap that 40 foot ladder to the mustang and drive it over man, I am SO MAD at this thing

No car for me = FAIL

remind me not to let you drive customer cars :p

bring it down i more then likely figure it out. over the phone you dont help explain much

remind me not to let you drive customer cars :p

bring it down i more then likely figure it out. over the phone you dont help explain much

haha

and there is no bringing it down it runs for 5 minutes and shuts off come over tommorow or tuesday and look at it its in my garage i have 23 dollars you can have in my pocket right now

the alt recieves its turn on signal via the ign switch if the switch is wasted the alternator will not turn on/stay on and the battery goes dead

check for power on the stator wire check for 13+ volts at the battery when running if all that looks good check your fuel pressure and have the tfi module tested

Guest Removed
I called you just come over I have money for you

120 e dublin granville road

worthington ohio 43085

well ben is bringing me his car later, to get it done. ill have to try and swing up after that.