bent rack and pinion

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

car shakes violently because the rack and pinion was tweaked in an accident...its a 94 v6 mustang....is it safe to drive? just a bumpy ride? or is it dangerous to leave it unfixed for the time being?

pretty sure its because of the rack...idk what else would cause this...feels like the car is going to rattle into pieces...you can see the body panels shaking :eek:

sorry for two posts, forgot to put this into the other one with the seatbelt

Guest Removed

sounds like a broken belt in a tire...

bent rack, i dont see making it shake, unless something is loose as a goose

just buy the fucking car off kevin, and have her drive the fucking thing. she is over 18 now, she can do what she wants.

Guest tbutera2112

its not a little shake...it pretty much shakes the entire car...above like 40mpg it starts to shake, and on the freeway i swear it looks like the fenders are going to fall off...shakes so hard you cant even see anything in the side mirrors except blurs...i own a mustang, i know its not supposed to do that

rob, youre the one who asked about the rack when i said it was shaking that bad

how would i check the tires for a bad belt? rotate them and see if the problem moves?

i dont think the tires are very old...my gfs mom has popped like 10 tires in the last year somehow

and rob, we already discussed that issue in PMs about getting a new car.... wont fly

Guest Removed
its not a little shake...it pretty much shakes the entire car...above like 40mpg it starts to shake, and on the freeway i swear it looks like the fenders are going to fall off...shakes so hard you cant even see anything in the side mirrors except blurs...i own a mustang, i know its not supposed to do that

rob, youre the one who asked about the rack when i said it was shaking that bad

how would i check the tires for a bad belt? rotate them and see if the problem moves?

i dont think the tires are very old...my gfs mom has popped like 10 tires in the last year somehow

and rob, we already discussed that issue in PMs about getting a new car.... wont fly

pot holes kill tires..jack it up and spin the tires, if its this bad, then you will see the lump in the tire! :gtfo:

and i can see her mom trying to hit pot holes just to be a bitch:o

Guest tbutera2112
pot holes kill tires..jack it up and spin the tires, if its this bad, then you will see the lump in the tire! :gtfo:

and i can see her mom trying to hit pot holes just to be a bitch:o

ok...ill check that out on wed.

i gotta bring a jack to school and do it, long story about why i cant do it there... im 95% sure its not a bad belt though, its been doing it awhile and we just had one of the tires off when we did the ball joint, and the other side was replaced not long ago, and it did it before and after

can you think of anything else that may cause this? the nasty noise it was making went away with the balljoint lol

could it maybe be blown struts or something?

its not a little shake...it pretty much shakes the entire car...above like 40mpg it starts to shake,

Im totally boggled I have never heard of a car riding like shit only when its getting good gas mileage HAHAHHAAHAH

Take it to derek and dave at ntb downtown they will throw it up and check your tires and alignemt

lol at the mom hitting potholes just to be a bitch haha

Guest tbutera2112
Im totally boggled I have never heard of a car riding like shit only when its getting good gas mileage HAHAHHAAHAH

Take it to derek and dave at ntb downtown they will throw it up and check your tires and alignemt

lol at the mom hitting potholes just to be a bitch haha

i cant take it anywhere....

would bad alignment cause a shake that violent?

a broken belt you can see in the steering wheel at low speeds it will wobble back and forth if you just hold it lightly without being able to see the car I would tell you to first have the tires checked for balance and the wheels checked for runout ( if you can't bring it to me any tire shop worth a fuck can get you done)

if the wheels all check out ok start looking for broken parts bent parts usually don't cause vibrations you get pull or wander.

if you can't bring the whole car you are welcome to bring me the wheel and tire assy's one at time and I can check them out for you

Guest Removed
will those prostars i got fit on her car? they fit my stang...i may just take them over there and swap them onto it and take it for a drive

they should fit just fine

Guest tbutera2112

ok my gf said that the car started shaking after it slid into a ditch... it was going like 30mph and slid into a ditch *ice*

after that, its been shaking...this was over a year ago

all the tires have been replaced since then...

how do i check the axles and driveshaft?

Guest Removed

bent rim! or axle or hub flange.... jackl it up and spin them. you might just see the issue.

good thing the new shop is close, you can sneek that thing over easyer now

Guest tbutera2112
bent rim! or axle or hub flange.... jackl it up and spin them. you might just see the issue.

good thing the new shop is close, you can sneek that thing over easyer now

i cant sneak it over... i may be able to on a friday sometime, but thats about it... ill try jacking it up and spinning it

Guest tbutera2112
Like Rob said jack it up and spin them, or drive it on the jackstands. I'd prefer to do this on a lift where i can stand under it and watch the driveshaft and such spin.

ive only got 2 jackstands lol...so ill be doing 1 at a time i suppose...it feels like its coming from the front of the car though...but who knows

Guest tbutera2112
If you can bring it by work I'll look at it if Rob is busy. I take it that the steering wheel shakes more then the seat?

i ride shotgun and feel like im going to die....you really dont understand what i mean.... it feels like the wheels are coming off its so bad.... like driving over a nonstop railroad crossing or something, or some MX whoops...its insane

i cant take the car anywhere...its not mine, and my gf is only allowed to drive it to school and to her house, and her mom wont take it anywhere either

i just dont want my gf getting in an accident in that death trap so i want to fix it but i have to try and self diagnose it and fix it myself

im not exagerating at all...its not "oh the car has a little shake"...its bad

Guest tbutera2112
Well if it ride like the wheels are falling off, I'd bet something is falling off. There comes a time to tell the gf and her mom to STFU and take the car, fix it, and save some issues.

my gf isnt the issue...and her mom is another story...not something i wanna get into over the net

and i have to have one of them with me if i was to take it somewhere....power seat is fubar and its all the way forward... i cant even get into it

how would i know if it has a bad u joint?

Guest tbutera2112
If you could sneak it over to my house we could at least get it up in the air and take a look at it.

i may be able to do this...but only on a friday afternoon...what do you do on friday afternoons? thats the only day that maisie has the car alone...and thats assuming her mom is working at the time...