AFM 1000 wideband info

BradyPPC

There have been a couple of questions about the AFM 1000 wideband in some other threads. Seeing as how both us at PPC and the guys over at Dynotune Motorsports use the AFM 1000. I thought I would post a link that has some pretty good info about the wideband that both of us have chosen to use. I think that after reading the article it will be clear that both of us have our customers best interests in mind and are trying to use the best equipment out on the market to get the best results we can for our customers.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1225791&postcount=84

The NTK sensor that comes with the AFM 1000 is a very durable sensor. Heat and lead content have very little effect on the sensor versus some of the other sensors on the market. The replacement sensors run between $400-$500 for the sensor only. There is also the option of running a cheaper NGK sensor that runs about $150.

In our shop we only run the NTK sensors. The sensor is calibrated prior to every use. Sometimes that ends up being two or three times in a day. We use two seperate sensors as well. One for pump gas and one for race gas. We prefer to have a weld in bung pre-converter and as close to manifold as possible for the most accurate readings. We also have the ability to log afr's directly into our logging software as well as onto the dyno screen.

Guest Removed

Ok, with the race gas and spray? i know from experience that it can wipe a o2 out rather fast!. why i have just used egt's and so in the past, to keep a eye on the tune up, and reading plugs and so forth. ever have a issue with this? im asking but im not sure how often you have played with race gas'd spray cars. id hate to burn someone's o2 up, when my old school method works, and so on.

and i know you have the custom wheel base dyno for the longer wheel base truck and what not, but you guys do diesel tuning as well?

Ok, with the race gas and spray? i know from experience that it can wipe a o2 out rather fast!. why i have just used egt's and so in the past, to keep a eye on the tune up, and reading plugs and so forth. ever have a issue with this? im asking but im not sure how often you have played with race gas'd spray cars. id hate to burn someone's o2 up, when my old school method works, and so on.

and i know you have the custom wheel base dyno for the longer wheel base truck and what not, but you guys do diesel tuning as well?

See Brian's post...

Guest Removed

well not to gunk up brians thread

The NTK sensor is very resistant to deterioration from lead deposits. Any tool used for measurement should have a cal feature to deal with age. However, due to the sampling method, the sensor should be replaced when needed. (they flat line when expired).

Most car-installable wide bands will use the Bosch LSU 4.X because of simplicity, parts are readily available, and sub 100$. There are aftermarket units that use/can use the NTK....FJO & NTK AFX for example

Nitrous has very little effect on oxygen sensors since its made up of nitrogen and oxygen.

well maybe i was having o2 issue from being cheap o2's and the fact that on my personal sprayed cars i would run them really lean and mean to push them past there limits!...lol

and im sure the often lead fuel didnt help much

Yeah we have done race gas with spray with no problems. Even with afr's we still look at plugs as well during tuning. Afr's tell you alot but dont tell everything. We do not currently offer diesel tuning but it is something that I plan to add in the hopefully near future.

Guest Removed

brady, what would you charge for the dyno use?(nothing personal,but i'd rather tune my own carb, which i know you dont play with) you running the dyno of course. if that is something that you would do if your not busy with your guys stuff that is. hourly or per pull cuase i have have some of my other customer interested in this type of service(they pay you for your time , take care of me on my time ) pm if you dont want to post it on the forum.

i may just drop this truck off to you and let you do it, since this programmer seems to not be doing what i want.

btw love the dyno you can pull a pass on,but i dont think it would like a trans brake and 4800 converter hitting it..lol