Who does construction?

Sully

I'm looking for someone reputable to do some remodel work on my house. There is a section of wall on the back of my house by my kitchen that I want knocked out and converted to a bay window sitting area.

A guy came out about 3 weeks ago to give me a quote. He said he would e-mail me in a couple days. Still no e-mail and I've called him a couple times. So, I've decided not to do business with this chump.

Recommend me someone that will follow up with a potential customer and will do good work.

The economy must not be to bad becasue I have been dealing with the same thing trying to get some contractors to come do some work or at least quote work since I have been injured(no remodel work specialty things). Keep in mind there are alot of people out there now that have started doing "remodel" work since they helped a buddy who knew a guy who showed him how, or maybe seen it on the internet, and most get in over their head quickly. Usually after taking a deposit(funny how that works). It doesnt sound like alot of work what your asking so someone might think, "hmm I can do that", and really they cant. Dont go on word of mouth becasue alot of people dont know what quality work is and will swear their brother is the best you have ever seen. The downward economy brings these kind of people out in droves. My suggestion is to get references and actually contact them and try to go see their work. Make sure someone is not giving you his brothers number and trying to dupe you. Make sure they have insurance and is bonded(call to verify). If I wasnt layed up, I would give you a quote but I will be down fro the rest of the year. Good luck and make sure your getting you money's worth. Remember if they cant handle giving you a quote or dont do it when they say they will, chances are they do their work the same way. I dont deal with people who do the exact same thing. At least they can do if they get busy is make a quick call saying they are busy and still trying to get back with you. I would rather someone do that to me 10 times vs. just not calling or nothing.

I do anything that has to do with masonary, concrete and excavating. If you are doin a room addition I can come dig your footers, pour them, lay the block foundation and back fill. I also do alittle framing but right now I am so slammed with work I doubt I would wanna do that. I will do the foundation part though if you want. I dunno what the deal is with the economy cause people are still spending like it is still fine.

Yeah, I definitely want to be able to check out someone's work before I sign or hand over a deposit. That would just be foolish to do that. And I definitely don't want to use someone that does it on the side. I am looking for a real company that is established.

Sam, I'm not sure how this works, but if I'm able to tell a company that I would like to provide my own person for the foundation work, I will contact you. I don't know if companies are set on using their people or what.

Yeah, I definitely want to be able to check out someone's work before I sign or hand over a deposit. That would just be foolish to do that. And I definitely don't want to use someone that does it on the side. I am looking for a real company that is established.

Sam, I'm not sure how this works, but if I'm able to tell a company that I would like to provide my own person for the foundation work, I will contact you. I don't know if companies are set on using their people or what.

If you want to do it this way just let your contractor know asap. Then your subs will all get on the same page. Chances are they will try to talk you into using their guys but any good contractor will try to do whatever makes the customer happy without sacrificing quality.

I wouldnt give a deposit to anyone until the work is done. I would only pay for materials and thats it. To many people running off with other peoples money and no work getting performed. If I do anything for you I do not require any money until the job is 100% done on my end.

So I FINALLY received my estimate today from this douchebag. Here's what he had to say:

1. Dig and pour footer from house around complete outline of bump out App: 4’ x 10’.

2. Lay up block foundation to correct height.

3. Frame in new bump out area

4. Install 2 new double hung windows

5. Install new full glass door

6. New siding and wrap on exterior

7. Tie in and shingle new roof

Total $4560.00

Here is my response:

Thanks for getting this to me. However, items 4 and 5 are not what I asked to have done. I do NOT want a door on the bumpout. I want windows all around.

Yeah, so I won't be using this guy. He'll probably re-quote it and then I'll tell him to piss off because he didn't listen to what I wanted and took 3 weeks to send me a quote.