Speed Density Turbo Tuning

long question short, for you tuners out there I have an 88 foxbody mustang (non mass air car) that I'm going to be doing heads on soon and some other mods. I plan on doing proper headgaskets and studs while I'm in there, (I plan on boosting it this winter, my question is should I convert it to mass air first or leave it SD? I have read that speed density is very tunable for boosted applications.

Discuss

long question short, for you tuners out there I have an 88 foxbody mustang (non mass air car) that I'm going to be doing heads on soon and some other mods. I plan on doing proper headgaskets and studs while I'm in there, (I plan on boosting it this winter, my question is should I convert it to mass air first or leave it SD? I have read that speed density is very tunable for boosted applications.

Discuss

Ive seen SD LSx boosted cars all day on LS1tech....its deff possible and looks to be the choice of the "big boy" builds.

Guest Removed
on a 5.0 mass air is the way to go on an efi application

wrong... with tuning as far as maf vs sd. i'll stay sd. that way you can tune it off the 3 bar map sensor instead of relying on a damn hot wire maf which is known to fail.

wrong... with tuning as far as maf vs sd. i'll stay sd. that way you can tune it off the 3 bar map sensor instead of relying on a damn hot wire maf which is known to fail.

I've been around the industry for a decent time in both OEM and aftermarket and haven't seen/heard of a MAF hotwire failing if the PCV system is designed properly. Its somewhat common for plastic housings to leak/fail when in blow through, but switching over to draw through elimnates that problem.

Stick to what your ECU was made for, the more conversion/scaling that happens, the harder it will be to have an OEM-like tune on the car.

agreed with gearhead. its a better tune but you have to more often when the temp changes more like a carburated car

Not if you understand the concept, PV=nRT. Notice the "T" value, temperature. If you are having problems with drift, your temperature sensor needs to be relocated/redesigned.

Both RL and myself are going to tell you to convert to mass air. It is really easy to do. Plenty of write ups about it online. Just gotta move some pins around. There are also some addtional connections needed that go to both the vss and fuel pump. There is no reason not to run a maf on a ford.

Discuss

Stimmel,

Why dont you come out to the shop next time I have a ford or ls1 car on the dyno with forced induction. I will let you give me a hand in the tuning process and show you how the maf works. Unless you plan on making over 1500 hp the maf will work. You can make over 1000 rwhp using a maf both on ford and gm pcm's.

Stimmel,

Why dont you come out to the shop next time I have a ford or ls1 car on the dyno with forced induction. I will let you give me a hand in the tuning process and show you how the maf works. Unless you plan on making over 1500 hp the maf will work. You can make over 1000 rwhp using a maf both on ford and gm pcm's.

Brian, Thank you for being such a stand up guy, I would love that. I know the mass air conversion is easy I just wanted some professional opinions. I will be shooting for about half prob less than the 1000rwhp mark.

Ill be in touch

Brian, Thank you for being such a stand up guy, I would love that. I know the mass air conversion is easy I just wanted some professional opinions. I will be shooting for about half prob less than the 1000rwhp mark.

Ill be in touch

I will be looking forward to it. Like I said I will be glad to show you how maf tuning works. Will let you do some tuning if you like.

Talk soon.

I was about to argue with you but I think all the posts after mine made the point

Guest Removed
I was about to argue with you but I think all the posts after mine made the point

there really is no point :confused:

i have always run boosted cars either way. granted back in the day, mafs were not what they are now.:p i have been planning my next boosted build.. and a maf wont handle it ;),but then i more then likely wont even have injection. when the carb set-up is still cheaper, and easier IMO

i have always run boosted cars either way. granted back in the day, mafs were not what they are now.:p i have been planning my next boosted build.. and a maf wont handle it ;),but then i more then likely wont even have injection. when the carb set-up is still cheaper, and easier IMO

Run two, average the signal. We did this on Mallet's CTSV prototype (1000whp)

Give me a call on your next build. I think you might be surprised as to what a maf can handle. There are definitely some benefits to running one even in boosted apps. The key is setting it properly as well as starting with a good maf.

Stimmel,

I will bet you $100 and dinner you can't :)

Guest Removed
Give me a call on your next build. I think you might be surprised as to what a maf can handle. There are definitely some benefits to running one even in boosted apps. The key is setting it properly as well as starting with a good maf.

i might take you up on that.. but like i said, im more them likely be boosting thru a 1050 dommy :D

I will bet you $100 and dinner you can't :)

Diablosport Mafia's for Fords

Maf Translators for GM

All you need to do is scale down other tables in the pcm to get it to work correctly. :)

I made close to 900 rwhp through a Turbo 400 using a LT1 maf and a mini afc (does the the same thing as a translator) on a 3800 firebird running twin 35r's and 30+ plus pounds of boost. This was done while keeping the maf under 11,500 hz. :)

I also used the translator on a 06 GTO with a D1SC making 700 rwhp. Maf is below 11,000 hz which will give me some room to tune once we increase the boost some more. :)