1957 Plymouth Suburban Engine?

99FLHRCI

My dad just took delivery of a 1957 Plymouth Suburban Sport. We are trying to figure out what motor is in it. From what we can tell, the motor options that year were a V6 (which it is not), a 273, a 301 or a 318. The only numbers I can find on the block are as follows:

Cast on the passanger front:

Stamped on the driver front:

MR8-015178

818? The last number (the second 8) is only about 1/3rd their but it is the lower left of the number so I am fairly certain it is an 8.

Any way to identify this motor would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the Fury 301 was the only V-8 option for a 1957 Sport Suburban. The only V-6 for it was the Power Flow 6.

I haven't been able to locate serial number id for the engines in case another year of Plymouth engine has been swapped into the car. I'll let you know if I run across one later.

http://www.plymouthcentral.com/

Here is some additional info. I don't see any reference in 1957 Plymouth engines for the MR8 prefix on the engine block stamping you've got in your post. :confused:

The engine code is not shown on the body tag on the firewall. There is a body code number, followed by the body serial number. The engine code is found only on the side of the block, at the front, below the cylinder head. The serial number plate (VIN in "modern" wording) is found on the left front door post from 1946 upward.

A 1957 Plymouth V-8 engine code should be P31-1001 to P31-492995.

The P31 prefix is for a 301 ci engine. The LP31 prefix identifies the 277 ci engine. A FP31 is the 318 ci engine.

I believe the Fury 301 was the only V-8 option for a 1957 Sport Suburban. The only V-6 for it was the Power Flow 6.

I haven't been able to locate serial number id for the engines in case another year of Plymouth engine has been swapped into the car. I'll let you know if I run across one later.

http://www.plymouthcentral.com/

Since it won't let me cut and paste I will tell you how to view it. Go to '57 Model Info on the directory bar. Then scroll to the bottom of the page. It lists the 277, the 301, and the 318.

I know it is not the 4 bbl. 301 but, that is all I know for sure.

I cannot find a P code anywhere on the front or sides of the block. I cannot see the back of the block in the driveway.

Guest Removed

i googled 1957 Plymouth Suburban Engine codes...

that was the first or second one.. but i have a book at home that will tell you what you need to know.

Here is some additional info. I don't see any reference in 1957 Plymouth engines for the MR8 prefix on the engine block stamping you've got in your post. :confused:

The engine code is not shown on the body tag on the firewall. There is a body code number, followed by the body serial number. The engine code is found only on the side of the block, at the front, below the cylinder head. The serial number plate (VIN in "modern" wording) is found on the left front door post from 1946 upward.

A 1957 Plymouth V-8 engine code should be P31-1001 to P31-492995.

The P31 prefix is for a 301 ci engine. The LP31 prefix identifies the 277 ci engine. A FP31 is the 318 ci engine.

I cannot seem to find ANYTHING stamped or cast on the side of the block. Do you know if it is the driver's or passenger side? Is it possible it might be hidden by the manifold?

i googled 1957 Plymouth Suburban Engine codes...

that was the first or second one.. but i have a book at home that will tell you what you need to know.

That would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at 2 vintage repair manuals and can't seem to find anything.

Since it won't let me cut and paste I will tell you how to view it. Go to '57 Model Info on the directory bar. Then scroll to the bottom of the page. It lists the 277, the 301, and the 318.

I know it is not the 4 bbl. 301 but, that is all I know for sure.

I cannot find a P code anywhere on the front or sides of the block. I cannot see the back of the block in the driveway.

Yeah, I see where you're reading that. But I believe those were the V-8 options for all of the Plymouth lines in 1957. The way I read the references is that the Suburban only had the 6 cylinder and the 301 V-8. I could very well be wrong, and if so, I'll be the first to admit it and prolly the last one to know. ;)

Guest Removed
That would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at 2 vintage repair manuals and can't seem to find anything.

i have every motor repair manual back to 1936(the first one) and then some...;)