Swirl mark removers

Buck531

Is there any swirl mark remover products that I can get over the counter and not pay a shitload for? I did stop into Autozone for a new mitt today and saw someone had a swirl mark remover product out there.

Is a high speed buffer necessary? Can i get away with doing it by hand? I do a have a big craftsman orbital buffer if needbe, but I don't think it'll be good enough.

After I attempt to get the swirl marks out, I plan on using some Zaino to do the rest of the car.

Suggestions?

Is there any swirl mark remover products that I can get over the counter and not pay a shitload for? I did stop into Autozone for a new mitt today and saw someone had a swirl mark remover product out there.

Yes...several. If you're trying to do the work by hand Meguiars SwirlX comes to mind. However on GM paint (hard) it's likely you're going to need something more agressive which means you'll have to buy two different polishes. One cutting compound and one polish. Meguiars M105 / M205 combo would be great but needs to be used by machine to really work to it's potential...oh and they're not cheap! You should be able to find them at local paint / body supply stores.

Is a high speed buffer necessary? Can i get away with doing it by hand? I do a have a big craftsman orbital buffer if needbe, but I don't think it'll be good enough.

On GM paint...I'd lean towards Yes on the high speed buffer. I doubt the craftsman orbital is up to the task either. You can do it by hand...but you're more likely to have success using a glaze to cover up the defects than trying to remove them by hand with a polish.

**edit** Each paint is different though. Maybe try out the SwirlX by hand and see what happens. A friend of mine just used SwirlX with a craftsman orbital on his car and I was suprised with the results. His car does have soft paint though which isn't common on GM cars.

Where can you find the swirlX? and will I need to use a two step process as in something before swirlX with a orbital?

It's a consumer line product so I'd assume you can find it through any retail chain that carries Meguiars products. I can't say I've ever specifically looked for it though.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a bottle of Megs ScratchX, a bottle of SwirlX and a bottle of Gold Glass liquid at O'Really?'s last night. I think the total was about $35. Did the door of my truck with the ScratchX and a small electric DA. I had a series of fine scratches in it as if somebody briefly hit it with a high-speed buffer full of rubbing compound. As I'm a complete n00b with detailing, I hesitate to use a pro-style tool that would cut too fast. I was able to remove about 98% of the damage with this stuff.

I have a bad case of fine spiderwebs on the rest of the truck likely from my ham-fisted "washing". (I have a nice sheepskin mitt. What happened?) The SwirlX aught to clean that up nicely if the ScratchX did as well on the heavier stuff.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17616

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG_G7016

• 1 month later...