would you rather be sad and rich, or happy and poor?

kristy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of people are not understanding the question.....its not.....would you rather be happy and poor or rich and sad{and then use your money to make yourself happy again}.........you are rich and sad.

I'd much rather be happy and poor....nothing can beat happiness.

I think alot of people are not understanding the question.....its not.....would you rather be happy and poor or rich and sad{and then use your money to make yourself happy again}.........you are rich and sad.

The question has already been skewed and bent into another question entirely, there's no going back now.

...but the question is disputable. Most people would think if they are rich, they probably would be somewhat happy, so it's harder to believe that they'll be sad.

I'm on a boat.

please answer! im doing this for a hw assignment...

Not enough information to make a decision.

Can your situation change? If so, Sad and Rich, if not, Happy and Poor.

But what is poor? If you're Happy and Poor, does that mean you have all your needs and wants met? Because that's a pretty good definition of happiness.

I am happiest, and most at peace when I'm driving my car; especially so when I'm racing. Without the ability to do that, I wouldn't be happy. So there's a paradox, because wouldn't owning a car mean that I'm not poor?

so basically i should change my question to: do you think money can buy happiness?

I posted something about this in another thread. DOes money buy happiness directly? No. Just buying stuff so you have "stuff" is a recipe for disappointment as you realize that other people don't give a shit about what "stuff" you have. That table in the hallway that looks nice but serves only to hold a vase up? Noone cares about it. Buy a HUGE house? Nobody is going to think you're a better person for it.

As was mentioned earlier, Happiness comes from *within.* But does that mean that money is meaningless? No. Money is a tool. It can give you the TIME and CAPABILITY to find your happiness. How can you "Follow your Bliss" when you have to work 60 hours a week to support your family? What if your happiness is in traveling to visit the 7 wonders of the world? Can't do that if you're penniless.

So the answer to your question is, I want to be happy. That means my needs are met (food, housing, mental and physical stimulation) and I'm able to race. If that's included in Happy and Poor, then that's the choice. But if having my needs met means I'm Rich, then I can't answer your question.

In my opinion, the thought that you can only be happy when you've cast off all your material possessions is naive, and frankly, dumb. At the very least, basic needs must be met. You must eat, you must have shelter, and you must have clothing.

Happiness isn't derived from external input. Just like other emotions. Many people don't understand this. You and you alone are responsible for how you feel, and how you act.

Of course personal responsibility isn't a very popular theme in today's society.

See the meditation thread :)

That being said, I still want my hug.

You can't be poor and happy. This is America. The only way you can be poor and happy is by being ignorant, too.

Also, well said, Howard. It took a couple assault and battery cases and a year of anger management, but I get it, now, and I'll never abuse you again. :(