A/C help please, maybe Tech Related or Detail Related.

SpaceGhost

So Since my car is almost 5 years old, I notice when I turn on my A/c the air coming out stinks. Kinda mildew/sour smell. What can I do to fix this issue, do I have the A/C serviced and that will take care of the smell, or is there a way to clean the system? Rob, AJ, Andy, Todd, anyone? Ideas? School me!

Guest Removed

the evap core needs cleaned. common issue! junk and gunk and everything else gets on the evap core, and after a few years it starts to stink like that.

the face of the core where the air comes across it, is where this happens most.some have a filter over them, and its hold mosture. causing this aswell. sometimes its as easy as cleaning it. there are services out there that help a great deal with this issue. i'll look into more as soon as i get to the shop. sometimes this is a easy fix. sometimes its not. if its really bad, the ac/ drain could also be clogged up, letting water sit in the evap case

the evap core needs cleaned. common issue! junk and gunk and everything else gets on the evap core, and after a few years it starts to stink like that.

the face of the core where the air comes across it, is where this happens most.some have a filter over them, and its hold mosture. causing this aswell. sometimes its as easy as cleaning it. there are services out there that help a great deal with this issue. i'll look into more as soon as i get to the shop. sometimes this is a easy fix. sometimes its not. if its really bad, the ac/ drain could also be clogged up, letting water sit in the evap case

School me some more! More input!

http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/johnny_five_cowboy3.jpg

also make sure your switch the settings from rec. to fresh air, we have customers that always leave the HVAC on rec all the time and never switch it to the fresh air setting

Guest Removed
Mine sits on fresh air most of the time, but gets switched a lot. If it rains, I make it recirculate with the A/C on so it doesn't fog and on Hot days when the A/C is on. But most of the time it is on fresh air.

that dont help much. more junk and gunk gets in. even past the filter. most of the time its the oil and dyes that leak on to the surface and trap the gunk, making mildew and all that stinky crap stay there. checking on some things for you now.

that dont help much. more junk and gunk gets in. even past the filter. most of the time its the oil and dyes that leak on to the surface and trap the gunk, making mildew and all that stinky crap stay there. checking on some things for you now.

You rock! 05 STI Rob, just incase you need that info.

I've got a case of a/c "deodorizer" that we used to carry (samples) - drop me a pm if you want a can to try (too much of this stuff in my garage). Also, Lube-Guard makes a foaming cleaner for evap cases - spray in, it foams up and them drains out the case drain tube:

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/radiator_foam.html

Never tried it, but I've had good success with their other products.

Guest Removed
I've got a case of a/c "deodorizer" that we used to carry (samples) - drop me a pm if you want a can to try (too much of this stuff in my garage). Also, Lube-Guard makes a foaming cleaner for evap cases - spray in, it foams up and them drains out the case drain tube:

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/radiator_foam.html

Never tried it, but I've had good success with their other products.

thats what i was thinking...the lube guard is the shit.

what i have done many times is mix a cap full of bleach it a a little more than a pint of water and spray it up through the a/c drain onto the evaprator. problem solved. GM also sells something to spray up through the drain hole to do the same thing.