5.0 overheating and leaking coolant

Guest fist302

Guest fist302

Le sigh

My 5.0 is overheating after replacing a thermostat. It will warm up fine but after about 5 min the gauge suddenly shoots up to the last line befor the red and sits around that area. This is the same thing it did the last time i did a t stat but this time it isnt going away. I have ran the motor with the radiator cap off for a long time and i have taking it on a drive and it only gets worse. The only thing i replaced was the t stat and the car was working perfect befor this. It has a new water pump, radiator, cap and gaskets. Whats up with this?

Second question is, what is this hose on the passenger side firewall that is dripping coolant onto my exaust? How can i stop this leak? Here is a pic.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/wpiner88/33.jpg

Thanks

Guest fist302
thats your evaporater drain.if you have coolant coming out of there your heater core is leaking...

I see thanks, yes its leaking pretty badly.

Guest fist302
So the heater core is the cause of the overheating or just the cause of the leak? I was thinking it had something to do with the thermostat since the problem happened directly after replacing it.

Guest fist302
you need to eliminate all leaks before chasing down the overheating issue

alrighty, so may i ask which hoses are the heater hoses i need to block off?

alrighty, so may i ask which hoses are the heater hoses i need to block off?

you should have two steel pipes that run along the intake manifold then they change to rubber hoses that run into the firewall remove the hoses and gett rubber caps and clamps for the tubes and your all done

Guest fist302
you should have two steel pipes that run along the intake manifold then they change to rubber hoses that run into the firewall remove the hoses and gett rubber caps and clamps for the tubes and your all done

Thanks will do.

Guest fist302
so what happened after you got rid of the leak?

does it still overheat?

I was busy tell today, my local parts store doesnt have a hose that will fit or rubber caps so i gotta wait tell i can get to home depot to bypass the heater core, il let u know how it goes.

Guest Removed
I was busy tell today, my local parts store doesnt have a hose that will fit or rubber caps so i gotta wait tell i can get to home depot to bypass the heater core, il let u know how it goes.

just go get a flush tee from the parts store. put both heater hose's to it. its just dumb to cap the metal lines. all it will do is trap air in the lines causing more issue's later.

Guest fist302
got the heater core bypassed and it didnt help. Still did the exact same thing in the same amount of time, only new info is that once it starts to overheat it seems to be letting air/steam out of the waterpump tip near were the fan bolts up. This is really getting frustrating... i need this car :doh:

Guest fist302
As I said earlier, you either have an air pocket or you have the thermostat in backwards.

Check the thermostat and/or bleed it better.

Thermostat is in correctly. Got any ideas how i can bleed the system when the engine block drain plug is totally stripped?

Let the car idle with the cap off until the thermostat opens.

You checked the thermostat? It's somthing simple, it didnt overheat, now you swapped thermostats and it overheats.

Guest fist302
I got it somewhat stabilized but it is deffinatly still running way to hot but i needed to get to school. How bad is it to run temps up around 230 for a few days? The problem is deff with the T stat i cant seem to get it to bleed properly, im thinking there is some air leaking in the hoses that i used for the heater core bypass. Il try and figure it out but thanks for the help so far atleast i got rid of my heater core leak : )

Guest Removed
it seems to be letting air/steam out of the waterpump tip near were the fan bolts up.QUOTE]

water pump might be going bad if its leaking

its new ....damn cheap parts