Optima Yellow Top in a street car

nurkvinny

Are there any negatives to having a Deep Cycle Yellow Top in a daily driver? A car I just got has one, and I had always thought Red tops were the choice for DD's.

Car starts awesome, no electrical issues, and gauge reads ~13.5-14 volts while cruising at 75mph.

Just curious what the advantage of a deep cycle is on a stock vehicle.

I ran one in my old car, I killed the stock battery from having audio equipment without a cap. They are just fine in a DD, and should hold up great during winter when you let the car sit for long periods of time.

+1. Commonly known for car audio use. DD is fine

i thought the blue tops were the deep cycle batteries ?

i've had a yellowtop in my vette for 4 years.

Blue tops are marine batteries, but also a deep cycle design. I have had a red top in my car for some time and its an excellent battery.

Yellow Top = Normal car use with some "deep cycle" properties that will save it vs a normal battery during extended discharge cycles.

Red Top = More fits the traditional role of an automotive "starting" battery, higher initial CCA, but not very terribly resilient to extended discharge/deep cycle activity.

Blue Top = What you would call a traditional "deep cycle" / Marine battery.

Optima makes some great stuff though, I replaced my OEM battery with a Red Top when it died a wile back. No complaints.

Be honest you got it because it matches your car Rob.

LOL ... actually what had happened was. the cavy needed a battery so instead of buying one for it i put the vette battery in the cavy i took the yellow top from my dads truck put it in the vette and bought a red top for my dads truck. :)