Brake adjustment...

SicShelby

Perhaps a dumb question... yes I read the sticky.

I just changed the pads on my daily driver (2007 Toyota Yaris). I would have thought that there would be more "pedal" after doing so because the pistons where pushed back in, etc. I have not tried to bleed the brakes yet. When I DO, does it matter where the key position is (on or off)?

Secondly, newer cars have self adjusters on the drum brakes (mine has drum in the rear). On an older vehicle you could manually adjust them with a flat head screw driver, or if the adjusters worked properly, drive in reverse and hit the brakes. Is it even the same in new cars? The reason I ask, is about 40,000 miles ago I took it to the dealership and they told me that the brakes just needed to be adjusted, and it came back with more pedal. How did they adjust the brakes - bleed them? or is there something I don't know...

Thanks All

- Sic

Guest Removed

no, on the newer stuff with the drums in the rear, most dont give you a hole or slot to adjust them. easy way i have found to do it, is clean the lip off the drum, to where it slide's on and off easyer. and adjust them till there is almost drag on them. now on some there may be a hole or plug to remove to make access easyer to the adjuster with the drum on.

i dont think bleeding will help. do to the fact the rear brake and the first stage of the master cylinders stroke., if you have not adjusted the rear's properly, then the pedal will be lower then before.

hope this helps

no, on the newer stuff with the drums in the rear, most dont give you a hole or slot to adjust them. easy way i have found to do it, is clean the lip off the drum, to where it slide's on and off easyer. and adjust them till there is almost drag on them. now on some there may be a hole or plug to remove to make access easyer to the adjuster with the drum on.

The drums without the grommet (that lets you get a screw driver in to adjust them) should self-adjust. How that happens is what I am curious about...

I know what you mean when you adjust them until the pads rub on the drums.

i dont think bleeding will help. do to the fact the rear brake and the first stage of the master cylinders stroke., if you have not adjusted the rear's properly, then the pedal will be lower then before.

hope this helps

Good input. I wonder how Toyota adjusted them when I took it in...?

Guest Removed

is there a rubber plug in the drum face? i know the corolla and camry had those.

and yeah i like adjusting them with a 2 lugs holding the drum down like the wheel is on it.

i'll see if i can dig up a pic from alldata, and if they even show adjustment on those.

but if no access hole is there, then use my trick..normally works rather well

Guest Removed

there is a hole in the back of the drum..bolt the wheels down, and adjust as normal

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/yarisbrakes.gif

just enough till there is just the right amount of drag

Guest Removed

no that is with the drum on

a) Provisionally install the 2 hub nuts.

(b) Remove the hole plug, and turn the adjuster to expand the shoe until the drum locks.

© Using a screwdriver, release the adjuster 12 notches.

(d) Install the hole plug.

Guest Removed

well they want youi to adjust it out till the drum wont move. then back it off 12 notch's.

IMO i would go by feel of drag with the tire/wheel on it..

I think it would give you about the same results. I will probably go by contact/feel, as that is how I know best. I am extremely amused that these do not self adjust. The last vehicle I had with drum brakes was a '69 Bronco (where you did the same procedure to adjust the brakes) - that was forty years ago!!

If/when I ever have to bleed the brakes on this thing... ignition key on or off when bled?

Guest Removed

well they may self adjust, some work, some dont..most dont..

and as far as bleeding goes..just manual bleed them as normal. but IMO try adjusting the brakes first and see how pedal feel does then. some times bleeding brakes on cars with abs, can be a PITA.

I have yet to see a pair that works either!! Thanks for the prompt feedback. I will post back when I can get under it... hopefully tomorrow. Adjust first, of course. I am lucky, the Yaris does not have an ABS. I got that thing as bare boned as I could get it. As far as I know... Toyota does not have an ABS on the Yaris, even the "S" model.

Alright, get back to you later. Thanks, Rob.

Guest Removed
old schol big drums with the cable adjusters work, but in reverse, hitting the parking brake and hitting the pedal .... but people always seems to over do it...