How bad is this problem?

TTQ B4U

We have our Entourage at the dealer for a few minor issues and getting the once over before our drive to Florida. However, they did tell me one of the issues, a rattling for like 3-4 seconds upon cold start up, is the Timing Belt Tensioners.

How bad of an issue is that and how will it have affected the car over time? It's rattled upon cold start up like this for about 1 month. Something about fluid not getting there to presurise the system and keep the chain from rattling?

It's under warranty, but it's taking like 2-3 days to fix since they had to order parts.

What all is involved in fixing this on the van?

Thanks!

belt or chain? i dont see year make engine size or any other info posted here to help you much farther then teling you what i am telling you right now..

Hyundai's 3.8l V6 and it is a chain. 2007 year.

Guest Removed
Hyundai's 3.8l V6 and it is a chain. 2007 year.

hyundia mini van is just a KIA sedona redressed!

same 3.8 dohc that came in the kias....i have done ton's of those. yes they have a issue with chain noise...but only a few second on start up is normal... it dont get much better then that. maybe the tech should go reread the tsb for the noise.(if they have gave hyundia the info) kia has the tsb and noise for less then 10 seconds on start up is normal! its the noise when hot is when you are suppose to replace the tensioners. and its not that big of a deal, its just noisy...

if i get a chance to pull up the tsb's for you, i will and post them..but trust me. start up is normal..some do it, some dont..and on some the tensioners dont fix it...some i have had to do lifters in.

you can pm getnbze on here..he will tell you the same thing! he is kia certed just like i am and fix's these to this day..trust me ;)

alos the one idler pulley is bad about making bad noise aswell. but that is a easy fix. and its makes noise all the time.

Guest mitsumodder
as long as you dont go revving the engine as it is rattling you should be fine. once it quits tension is there and you are good to go. it will were out the guides quicker than normal but i think it would be fine for a trip.

Thanks Guys. The dealer has had the van for 2 days likely 3 in all before it's done. They are replacing the guides. It hasn't made this noise until about 20k miles.

We'll have it back and driving it for 5-7 days before our trip so if anything needs further work, we have some time.

A lot of Coopers are having a very similar issue with not getting oil up there in time and thus it sounds like a deisel truck for a couple seconds, to even a minute or so.... while its a PITA to have to go get all that changed (for free luckily) at least they'll make it right. Till then the overall concensus is to let it warm up for a min or so if it makes the noise, till you get it in for work.

GL

Guest Removed
Thanks for the info Gearhead. I have an '06 Sedona... doesn't sound like I have this problem, but it makes other interesting noises. I'm keeping a wary eye on it. Good to know there's some Kia techs on here :)

what kind of noise? pm me or swing bye...so that way the dealer isnt chasing there tail. or i can tell you which dealer to take it too, and which tech to have fix it...some of them dont have a clue of wht they are doing.

Edited by Removed

Guest Removed

KIA TSB for this noise! and yes hyunduh has the same one..so what they are telling you, i have no idea. this clearly states, start chian noise is normal!

This revised bulletin replaces information previously issued on June 1, 2007, Engine 028. It readdresses several noises on 3.8 or 3.3 litre engines used in 2006 and later Sedona (VQ) and 2007 and later Amanti (GH) and Sorento (BL). Three separate noises are covered.

Noise 1) 3.8/3.3I engines may exhibit noise for several seconds during initial start-up after sitting several hours, which typically sound like loose timing chains or excessive bearing clearance.

Noise 2) 3.8/3.3I engines may exhibit noise during or after full warm-up, which can sound like excessive valve lash (valve tap) on one or more cylinders - or - loose timing chains.

Noise 3) In fewer cases, the catalyst heat shields may produce buzzing sounds that are most noticeable after full warm-up, and under slight engine load.

This TSB will distinguish when and how to address these concerns. Please note that there have been changes to acceptable repair limits. Additionally there have been changes to the repair procedures, which are provided in the service information on KGIS.

Noise 1 - Engine Noise Only at Initial Start-up

This can be caused by oil draining back into the crankcase after sitting several hours or after sitting overnight. Since the primary tension application of the chain tensioners is oil pressure, the tensioners may initially have slack until significant oil reaches them and pressure begins to build. If the noise diminishes at the same time oil pressure builds, there is no fault with the current design timing chain tensioners. No action or repair is necessary or recommended.

NOTICE: If necessary, this can be easily confirmed by installing an oil pressure gauge and monitoring the noise before and after oil pressure build-up.

Noise 2 - Valve Lash (Valve Tap) Type Noise - or - Excessive Timing Chain Noise

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/138618406.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/138618407.gif

and yes i have seen and fixxed all of the above issue's...