broken caliper bleeder screws

zeitgeist57

F*&k...I replaced my master cylinder in the truck (was leaking out of the back seal and brakes were really spongy) and while trying to bleed it BOTH front caliper bleeder screws broke!

I don't know if the front brakes could have ever gotten really hot when I towed my Corvette up to BeaveRun race track a month ago, but the bleeders were totally frozen. I used PB Blaster and gave it more than a half-hour of set time...still broke them off.

Now...I can get loaded calipers relatively cheap ($40-$50 each side)...but can I grind a slot in the bleeder still remaining in the caliper and use a screwdriver to twist the remaining screw body out? I'm under the impression that if they broke off with a box-end and then a ratchet, DEY AIN'T MOVIN! :)

Advice, please...I will still need to bleed the brakes ASAP, no fronts at all. In fact...that's another thing: I don't think I bled the master cylinder that well... :(

I'd get new bleeder screws if I could get the old ones out. Heck, I could try those jobbies with the check-valve in them...one-man bleeder screws...

I do have screw-outs, but they are dinky little Irwin things I got from Lowes...is that the best thing for those types of screws?

I can't find it but they make a tool for air hammers that will really help you get the broken screws out. Call 1-800-622-8665 and talk to one of the tech guys. Post the number they give you here and I'll tell you who makes it.

Guest Removed

just replace the calipers...its best bang for the buck..really old caliper's will have a issue with the piston not working properly anyway, and never heat a caliper to remove a bleeder. that will infact destroy the seal in the piston. with age comes rust and grime.and if the brake fluid has not been flushed every 2 years, then you will have a ton of muck in the cylinder area, and rust, that will also damage the seal.

damn it i just cant stay out of this section.