dynotime vs. wideband

TurboRust

ok may sound like a silly question but for my FC with limited computer tuning capabilities I planned on using the dyno for manual adjustments such as boost, base timing, and base fuel pressure. Which would be a better investment... a $200 wideband and street tuning, or $200 in dynotime adjusting on a dyno

one thing to note, this is a turbo car and tuning would be being done on brian's dyno which isnt load bearing i believe.

also I probably really need both, but i guess the only advantage i see to the dyno is making sure i'm picking up power with increasing boost and timing vs. seat of the pants tuning with the wideband making sure its safe

Guest Removed
If you're going to be working on a load bearing dyno I'd go that way for sure, but I'd want to have a wideband on the car regardless.

plus one.....

but still, dyno it..and street tune it....when your limited on tuning ability's with the older setup, your best bet is to watch it on the wideband at all times. and stay on the safe side...

Guest Removed
If not on a dyno then WOT should be at least done at the track where you can see increases in MPH as a result of HP.

in road racing thats hard to do...:gtfo:

Guest Removed
A CR track rental is cheaper and more fun then dyno time, last I checked road racing cars can go straight. :asshole:

mid range tuning would be everything to making it live under part throttle acceleration..thats why the load bearing dyno is best to use for this type of tuning, cause before you even get to a full WOT pull, you can have most of your drivability and part throttle tuning done. hence why tuning a road race car on a none load bearing dyno, IMO is not even worth the time. granted yes, getting the tune right at WOT is great..but what if say you find a lean spot on part throttle through a corner? what will that do if theres 15 turns in the track, and its 50 laps? that 750 leans spikes..but then you know all about lean spikes now dont you, all its take is one really hot one...need2pistons mofo

oh im hanging that on the wall here at the shop BTW :p

If you're going to be working on a load bearing dyno I'd go that way for sure, but I'd want to have a wideband on the car regardless.

mid range tuning would be everything to making it live under part throttle acceleration..thats why the load bearing dyno is best to use for this type of tuning, cause before you even get to a full WOT pull, you can have most of your drivability and part throttle tuning done. hence why tuning a road race car on a none load bearing dyno, IMO is not even worth the time. granted yes, getting the tune right at WOT is great..but what if say you find a lean spot on part throttle through a corner? what will that do if theres 15 turns in the track, and its 50 laps? that 750 leans spikes..but then you know all about lean spikes now dont you, all its take is one really hot one...need2pistons mofo

oh im hanging that on the wall here at the shop BTW :p

I'm not disagreeing with you, hence my first post. I agree completely, just making a point on WOT tuning the old school way. I know you have and will use this method.

BTW, I'm glad you're enjoying your new paperweight, but I told you I'm keeping that piston.

Guest Removed
I'm not disagreeing with you, hence my first post. I agree completely, just making a point on WOT tuning the old school way. I know you have and will use this method.

BTW, I'm glad you're enjoying your new paperweight, but I told you I'm keeping that piston.

you can keep it..on my wall here

Derek,

The air prop brake on my dyno can be used for part throttle tuning. You can watch the wideband live.

Give me a call sometime about it.

:eek: you got that and didnt tell me...now i mad at you.;)

but still, dyno it..and street tune it....when your limited on tuning ability's with the older setup, your best bet is to watch it on the wideband at all times. and stay on the safe side...

Yes. Brian will do both for you I'm sure.