Lawnmower troubleshoot

wnaplay1647545503

I was given a riding mower awhile back and I decided today to try and tinker with it. I jumped it off the starter and it fired right up and stayed running until I shut it off. The seat switch which wont allow it to run without someone on its broken and the actuating swith was taped(kind of) in hopes it would run without someone in the seat. Instead of messing with the tape, I spliced the wires together. So I decide I want to fire it back up. It wont. I can however start it with ether, or putting gas in the intake. It will stay running like this as long as I keep spraying. Also I had to disconnect the low oil switch(why I dont know, its not low). I replaced the spark plug before first trying. I thought I flooded it so I let it sit and pulled the plug. But it just wont stay running by itself. It has gas, spark(cause its starting), and the filter is off so I think its getting air. Any ideas?

Reading owns all. It has gas as stated goofy. The float isnt sticking, the bowl is filled each time I take it off. All seems well. Just doesnt seem like its being drawn into carb. If the gasket on the bowl is worn and air is getting into the bowl, could this stop it from getting fuel? Once in the bowl, where does the gas go to get into the carb?

I was given a riding mower awhile back and I decided today to try and tinker with it. I jumped it off the starter and it fired right up and stayed running until I shut it off. The seat switch which wont allow it to run without someone on its broken and the actuating swith was taped(kind of) in hopes it would run without someone in the seat. Instead of messing with the tape, I spliced the wires together. So I decide I want to fire it back up. It wont. I can however start it with ether, or putting gas in the intake. It will stay running like this as long as I keep spraying. Also I had to disconnect the low oil switch(why I dont know, its not low). I replaced the spark plug before first trying. I thought I flooded it so I let it sit and pulled the plug. But it just wont stay running by itself. It has gas, spark(cause its starting), and the filter is off so I think its getting air. Any ideas?

I had a tiller with this problem. I had Hoblick fix it! lol The problem was it had sat so long the gas had gel'd. He took apart the bowl and replaced the rotten gaskets and such and it would run fine for a while. Then what kept happening was a little bit of the crap that was left over in there kept getting stuck in the jet and from what he said the jets are so tiny it doesn't take much. Between this happening and with him taking it apart and re-cleaning it so many times it eventually all cleared out and started working fine. That was my problem and it sounds just like yours.

That sounds like the problem. If there are bad gaskets in the carb, replace them. Also, take it apart and thoroughly clean it. Depending on the type of carb, it may have a spring actuated rubber diaphragm in it. Replace that as well as they wear out frequently. B&S engines use those a lot.

i would totally take the carb off and clean it. it sounds like bad gasket like suggested above or possibly a blocked gas port. obviously it does not get gas continuously. is there a fuel filter on it? the fuel filter could be blocked or letting particles through.

I had a tiller with this problem. I had Hoblick fix it! lol The problem was it had sat so long the gas had gel'd. He took apart the bowl and replaced the rotten gaskets and such and it would run fine for a while. Then what kept happening was a little bit of the crap that was left over in there kept getting stuck in the jet and from what he said the jets are so tiny it doesn't take much. Between this happening and with him taking it apart and re-cleaning it so many times it eventually all cleared out and started working fine. That was my problem and it sounds just like yours.

I had to do the same thing to my weekwacker this spring, took me about 5 times of taking it apart and cleaning it before it would stay running on its own.