baseball card collectors?

SRTurbo04

The only way to get any money out of cards now is to take them and have them graded. I'm not sure how much it costs to have cards graded. My guess is that it's only worth it if you know for sure that a particular is worth a shitload.

They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. I would look on EBay, and perhaps take them to a BaseBall Card Trading Meet (if there are any). With the way the Economy is, you are probably not going to get much. But, you never know. ;)

KillJoy

ebay ruined the collector card market. Most items that were "rare" before ebay are now readily available via a few mouse clicks.

Ebay was just the final nail in the coffin. Massive overproduction (runs of 30,000,000+ of each card in a set), the proliferation of "Special" sets and "Limited Editions" (and see overproduction) and the 1994 strike are what really cut the legs out of the market. When you are bulk trading lots of FIVE HUNDRED rookie cards of Gregg Jeffries....well, that just ain't a healthy collectible market.

Plus, speculation in a industry that pretty much depends on the other guy's moms all throwing out their cards.....

Ebay was just the final nail in the coffin. Massive overproduction (runs of 30,000,000+ of each card in a set), the proliferation of "Special" sets and "Limited Editions" (and see overproduction) and the 1994 strike are what really cut the legs out of the market. When you are bulk trading lots of FIVE HUNDRED rookie cards of Gregg Jeffries....well, that just ain't a healthy collectible market.

Plus, speculation in a industry that pretty much depends on the other guy's moms all throwing out their cards.....

I disagree. Older cards that were not overproduced are still way less valuable now since everyone can pop on ebay and get one. Ebay allowed people easy access to nearly any card of any grade.

I have quite a few (once) very rare cards such as a few Fleer before tops ran them out of business the first time, but even they are readily available on ebay now.

dam lol ive got liek 20 nolan ryan cards sitten in front of me but not sure if there worth jack crap they were printed in 1991. an then ive got a box load of cards that i havent torn into to check them out

This is the god honest truth when I was in california I was a lucky kid that ended up with a autographed nolan ryan card when he played for the Alvin Community College "suns" either way the card was worth alot of money and I got ripped off in dublin the guy told me my card was fake and not real so he was like I will give you 500$ he said thats double what the card was worth and I ended up sellling it, to this day I regret selling it becuase I know it was worth way more, its the card shop right in dublin by the bridge by 33 if you ever go in there and see my card tell the guy hes a bastard for ripping a 16 year old kid off.

I was offered $1000 for one of my Fleer cards. Guy said he was being "generous" because he felt bad. I told him no thanks, I'll keep it then, I don't want to "put you out". ;) He was quite unhappy that he couldn't get me to sell it to him but I guess he thought I was a dumbass 12 year old.

Now, that card is probably worth $0.25 or something on ebay. O-well.