Cam suggestions 302

Stimmel1647545512

As some of you know I have an 1988 mustang 5.0 5 speed now maf car. I am shopping for a cam the plans/current mod list is...

Stock 302 block and rotating assembly

GT40 inake

70mm throttle body

GT40 heads

bbk long tubes with no cats flowmaster exhaust

AC and Smog Delete

pulleys etc all the small stuff

I want to find a good cam that will make great tq/power all around I will be building the heads to spec with the cam (springs rockers etc)

Just want some suggestions and personal experiences on what cams are good with a gt40 set up

I heard the trickflow stage one is a great cam for that combo but please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks

okay, Rob I figured I would talk to you about this but with me being in dc and you being busy i didnt want to waste your time, when I get home I need to talk pricing with you on pulling the motor installing a new oil pan and pump and heads and cam I want to help not to cut down on the cost but I want to learn more and my dad is not in the best health right now and just plain doesnt have the strength to do it with me :( anyways shoot me a pm of a ball park price of me to rent some space to do this shit Ill be there for the whole project and can do most of the work just want an expert such as yourself there and of course you will be paid.

other than that still shopping for cams that are streetable for a daily summer driver that makes great power without sacraficing driveability

Guest Removed
okay, Rob I figured I would talk to you about this but with me being in dc and you being busy i didnt want to waste your time, when I get home I need to talk pricing with you on pulling the motor installing a new oil pan and pump and heads and cam I want to help not to cut down on the cost but I want to learn more and my dad is not in the best health right now and just plain doesnt have the strength to do it with me :( anyways shoot me a pm of a ball park price of me to rent some space to do this shit Ill be there for the whole project and can do most of the work just want an expert such as yourself there and of course you will be paid.

other than that still shopping for cams that are streetable for a daily summer driver that makes great power without sacraficing driveability

look into the afm high rev cams and springs. they have some rather powerful combos with the under .500 lift rule for nmra class's, and so on..they have a ton of different offerings. just look into them.;)

look into the afm high rev cams and springs. they have some rather powerful combos with the under .500 lift rule for nmra class's, and so on..they have a ton of different offerings. just look into them.;)

that first cam on the list looks like it would be best for me, I dont see any high rev cams that would work for me but I would love to be able to shift at 7k rpm

Guest fist302
Both the TFS stage 1 or any letter series ford racing cam ( depending on your needs) seem to be tried and true cams for our cars. I hear that the TFS stage 1 was developed much more recently and that the old ford cams are ancient. I dont know how true that is but i hear it alot. I will prolly be going with either a TFS 1 or i might go with either E or b303 cam for my car.

I had an E303, trickflow valvetrain and 1.7 rr's and it worked out great. Theres a vid of it somewhere on here of what it sounds like. Just pulled that cam out to put a stock one back in for the new setup :)

Guest fist302
I had an E303, trickflow valvetrain and 1.7 rr's and it worked out great. Theres a vid of it somewhere on here of what it sounds like. Just pulled that cam out to put a stock one back in for the new setup :)

Do you remember when the e cam stopped making power? Could it pull up to 6k or does it drop of at 55?

Do you remember when the e cam stopped making power? Could it pull up to 6k or does it drop of at 55?

I do not recall exactely, but since I still had the stock intake and basically stock heads, I think it only pulled to about 5500, maybe a tad less. Im sure that would all change with some decent heads and intake ;)

Guest fist302
I do not recall exactely, but since I still had the stock intake and basically stock heads, I think it only pulled to about 5500, maybe a tad less. Im sure that would all change with some decent heads and intake ;)

ah i see thanks anyway, and good luck with that build the car is sexy :leghump:

E cam should be good enough for you... You do not need the high-rev cam for your car. The intake you plan to put on and the heads will restrict your ability to make power at high RPM... You need better ones if you plan to go to 7K... I suggest 1.7 RR's with what you plan to do and it will give you a nice sound... I had the same set up as you on my 94 with an E cam and 1.7's... Sounded very good...

Guest Removed
E cam should be good enough for you... You do not need the high-rev cam for your car. The intake you plan to put on and the heads will restrict your ability to make power at high RPM... You need better ones if you plan to go to 7K... I suggest 1.7 RR's with what you plan to do and it will give you a nice sound... I had the same set up as you on my 94 with an E cam and 1.7's... Sounded very good...

thats uinderstood, but he would also need a light weight piston and rod combo as well. but the have a ton of cams on that site...most are the high rev style...

so many cams, and so many different ways to go with the build.