steering wheel shake while driving both lower and higher speeds

armin922

this is on a 00 merc sable. Like i said in the title. The steering wheel shakes left and right when driving. Normal cruising it does it and while braking it does it. It feels like the front end is gonna give. We were thinking ball joints? But someone else told me it could be a warped rotor as well. When braking it also has the symptom of a warped rotor (the steering wheel shakes erratically)

probably normal for a Mercury.

Check wheel balance, alignment, tires, balljoints, and even wheel for possible bendings. You wouldn't have a constant shake with warped rotors, so that's not likely.

Guest Removed

if it was a rotor, it would happen during braking..

if a belt in the tire is bad, well there will either be a flat spot, or a big lump in the face of the tread.rather hard to see on the ground without jacking it up, and spinning the tire

word. so i looked atthe tires, and the drivers side has a weight on the wheel and the pass side doesnt. The tires look worn on the outside of the tire( worn to the point where u cant even read the words/lettering) And i checked the air press on each tire and they were all different. 20psi, 30psi, 40 psi, 20psi. So i adjusted them all to 30psi and the ride felt better. Now im thinking it needs balanced and rotated but by looking at them they are bad (tires). There are tiny cracks on the tire and really dont want to spend money on them to get them balanced and rotated if they just need to be changed. So what kind of deals can Derek get me at NTB? Its a 2000 mec sable OHV motor. I believe its 205-60-15. Not sure though. BTW, she doesnt really want to spend very much on tires. So something cheap. THANKS