Gear

demitrix

So looking to start buying some riding gear this year. Pretty much new to the whole motorsports arena so i don't know brands/quality. Looking at getting a jacket for sure, maybe pants, and nice backpack. I'm not sure about boots yet. So whats every ones opinions on brands, leather vs textile, etc...

Leather is the way to go if you can afford it. You should really get everything: boots, helmet, gloves, jacket, and pants...get textile if you have to so you can afford boots, too. Also, make sure to check out the clearance stuff at Iron Pony!!

LEATHER ALL THE WAY

it won't rip like textile

and i prefer alpinestars, but everyone has their own taste and what fits them best

AStar whore. LOL.^^^

Dominatrix, get all boots for sure. If you don't think you need them watch some YouTube crash vids. You'll want them.

Wolfys right leather is great. But textile is much cheaper and cooler temp wise. You can find some good deals at the Pony. Just ride with all the gear you can. You don't have to look like you have a sponsor like Brennan. :)

Just to add my .02, I've had a textile jacket for the last 5 years, and it's held up to time and a get-off very well. To be honest, you would never even know to look at it that I've been in a crash with it on. I know everyone's experience is different, but my vote is that for everyday commuting/riding the textile is perfectly fine. Now, I also just got a suit that will be used for all my hard riding and track stuff, but my textile has proven itself just fine for years in everyday use.

^:lol:

Astar stuff is decently priced, holds up well, looks a lot better than icon crap. Tons of options on boots, astar, sidi, tcx, etc..leather is always nice, but I've heard some textile jackets hold up very well too. I always ride with jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet.

Since I've just recently jumped on the A* bandwagon, I'll totally and blindly agree with what Aaron said!! :D A* FTW!!

(btw, my textile jacket was a Cortech, which I never thought would hold up as well as it did. It will be replaced this year simply because I can afford to and I'd like to upgrade, but 5 years later, it's still looks like it did when I bought it, even after the wreck)

Just to add my .02, I've had a textile jacket for the last 5 years, and it's held up to time and a get-off very well. To be honest, you would never even know to look at it that I've been in a crash with it on. I know everyone's experience is different, but my vote is that for everyday commuting/riding the textile is perfectly fine. Now, I also just got a suit that will be used for all my hard riding and track stuff, but my textile has proven itself just fine for years in everyday use.

Makes me feel good. I just got a new Cortech textile jacket. The last 6 years, I have been sporting a mesh jacket with perforated leather sleeves. It held up fine in a low speed low side but thats all would expect from mesh. It really sucked having to layer up under the jacket in colder weather. All it was good for was crash protection. I wont wear mesh again. I vote for textile if you arent going to be riding at the track. as for brands, they are all pretty good. Joe Rocket, Icon, A* seem to be popular. Speed and Strength has some nice stuff out too. I just started riding in boots last season and I would reccomend them. Check out newenough.com, they have some good deals and make sure to check out the closeout bargain basement section for super steals on gear.

Edited by xtremef4i

Hells yeah! I just ordered my jacket and gloves from there and used a 10% off code and all my items qualified for free shipping! Saved a total of $22 plus free shipping

where'd you end up snagging that 10% off coupon? I got mine for the suit from Fonzie who had one he wasn't going to use, but I'm curious how to get them since you both had them recently.

where'd you end up snagging that 10% off coupon? I got mine for the suit from Fonzie who had one he wasn't going to use, but I'm curious how to get them since you both had them recently.

I got one via email. I bought some boots from them last year. Now I am waiting on another coupon from them so I can get some gear for the old lady

I'm in the same boat as you are. Just getting ready to start riding this year.

I got the Bell Star helmet for 300 brand new.

I'm getting Draggin Jeans/ Liner for my pants, and a leather jacket.

I have not decided if I'm getting "Riding Shoes" yet though. I hate boots, and I don't know if riding shoes are necessary for commuting/ joy riding.

I'm also going to grab some gloves, but those seem to just be personal preference.

Check out the SHIFT stuff. Better than JR for sure and not poser like everyone else has wearing Icon... Fits exactly like AStar, too.

They have a street shoe and some really killer textiles.

Textiles are totally cool. I agree on leather if you can do it, but textiles are getting to the point that they hold up rather well. They crash well, too.

Just for the info. What makes a Bike Shoe better than an ankle high leather shoe you would wear around?

Really, the sole usually is stiffer and the heal and ankle protection. To get close to the protection, you'd have to wear a much heavier work style boot. Cumbersome and bulky...

AStar whore. LOL.^^^

Dominatrix, get all boots for sure. If you don't think you need them watch some YouTube crash vids. You'll want them.

Wolfys right leather is great. But textile is much cheaper and cooler temp wise. You can find some good deals at the Pony. Just ride with all the gear you can. You don't have to look like you have a sponsor like Brennan. :)

i guess it's true, i buy expensive stuff.

meh, what can i say?

champagne taste with beer money, it makes me broke, but i love it.

i payed 550 for my jacket alone.

i guess it's true, i buy expensive stuff.

meh, what can i say?

champagne taste with beer money, it makes me broke, but i love it.

i payed 550 for my jacket alone.

550 isn't beer money.

You know I can't help giving you shit.

Baller.

haha, it was a good part of a pay check.

so yes, beer money.

i have to save up to afford a lot of the random crap i buy.

i think the fact that i'm not dating anyone saves me money too haha.

so you've learned the secret.

Here's another one. Craigslist nightladiez are cheaper than girlfriends.

On the front end yes.... after the multiple doctor visits and shots to cure the dripping.... not so much....

Sounds like moose has been working on his western grip.

Look it up in urbandictionary.com you know it's true.