Need help: bug guts, interior scrapes and rubber revival

Aaron

I am fairly competent with the basic otc stuff, and have some higher quality products form Menzerna and Glanz along with a PC 7424 and some MF towels and cloths.

I do however always seem to be underwhelmed with a few things when I do a wash or full detail.

1. How do you get 100% of the bugs off of the paint? I have tried just using the wash mit, and a few otc things however I can never seem to get them off.

2. The lower part of the door panels as well as the door jam trim get scuffed from shoes entering and exiting the car. I used to have some interior cleaner that did a pretty good job, but didn't get them removed. A general soapy cloth also doesn't do the trick.

3. The rubber mouldings around the windows is always faded and discolored even on my 1 month old car (6 months old from build date). What products do you use to revive the rubber moldings around windows as well as rubber seals on doors/trunk/hood etc.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

I am asking this because I am going to do a full detail on my dads 1 year old Red GTI tomorrow and Friday and wanted some answers for his detail and future reference.

I need to put in an order for some more MF towels, cloths and some more products, so it would be nice to know what the detailers recommend.

1) Clay bar to remove any stubborn bug remains. However if they've been on there long enough to be stubborn in the first place don't be suprised if there's etching in the paint that cannot be removed. The PC 7424 and Menzerna polishes might make it better but probably won't make it go completely away

2) If you're dealing with rubber thats in the texture of the plastic Mr. Clean magic erasers work well for getting into those little textures and removing stuff. Actual Scratches to the interior panels are completely different. Look very closely at the plastic to make sure you know what you're up against.

3) Might want to try "Black Wow". It's a pain in the rear to use but a great product.

Andy

Aaron,

I pre-treat the bug jerky with aerosol paint or plastic cleaner so that there isn't any hard rubbing involved in getting any of it off. As said above, hard rubbing of any dirt/debris/bug is likely to scratch your paint surface. I've never seen bug guts that needed to have clay bar removal--Plexus, Motorcycle Stuff paint cleaner, or any of the other paint and plastic cleaners will dissolve the bug jerky if you wait a few minutes then just lightly wipe it off.

If you're up around the garage today, call me and I'll give you a can to try. I buy it by the case.

What works for me

Presoak everything

Claybar

Wax – mequires nxt

Windows - Invisible glass in the can not the bottle

Plastics - Mequires NXT but when you do the dash lightly spray it on a rag so you don’t make the dash to SHINEY and you see it in the windshield this also keeps you from getting overspray on the window.

Leather - Turtlewax leather cleaner I hate mequires its always blotchy

Door jams / scuff marks - Any kind of AP (all purpose)

Seals – I usually just use the detailer but I know there is this really good thick resin stuff that’s amazing can’t remember what it’s called I’m looking into it

Faded black anything – black magic or back to black any of those

Tireshine - I have no idea I don’t use it and shanton yells at me for it everytime :)

Only use one rag per product

Always do windows last

Don’t use the shiney detailer for the dash or the steering wheel

Always wax after you claybar

This is just what works for me if anyone has used these and found something better please let me know.

1) Clay bar to remove any stubborn bug remains. However if they've been on there long enough to be stubborn in the first place don't be suprised if there's etching in the paint that cannot be removed. The PC 7424 and Menzerna polishes might make it better but probably won't make it go completely away

2) If you're dealing with rubber thats in the texture of the plastic Mr. Clean magic erasers work well for getting into those little textures and removing stuff. Actual Scratches to the interior panels are completely different. Look very closely at the plastic to make sure you know what you're up against.

3) Might want to try "Black Wow". It's a pain in the rear to use but a great product.

Andy

Thanks for the help. You will have a PM shortly.

Aaron,

I pre-treat the bug jerky with aerosol paint or plastic cleaner so that there isn't any hard rubbing involved in getting any of it off. As said above, hard rubbing of any dirt/debris/bug is likely to scratch your paint surface. I've never seen bug guts that needed to have clay bar removal--Plexus, Motorcycle Stuff paint cleaner, or any of the other paint and plastic cleaners will dissolve the bug jerky if you wait a few minutes then just lightly wipe it off.

If you're up around the garage today, call me and I'll give you a can to try. I buy it by the case.

Awesome thanks doc. I won't be up your way today, but maybe this weekend sometime I can swing by. My dad's car doesn't have many bugs so it won't be needed on his car, but mine is covered. Front, hood, windshield etc.

What works for me

Presoak everything

Claybar

Wax – mequires nxt

Windows - Invisible glass in the can not the bottle

Plastics - Mequires NXT but when you do the dash lightly spray it on a rag so you don’t make the dash to SHINEY and you see it in the windshield this also keeps you from getting overspray on the window.

Leather - Turtlewax leather cleaner I hate mequires its always blotchy

Door jams / scuff marks - Any kind of AP (all purpose)

Seals – I usually just use the detailer but I know there is this really good thick resin stuff that’s amazing can’t remember what it’s called I’m looking into it

Faded black anything – black magic or back to black any of those

Tireshine - I have no idea I don’t use it and shanton yells at me for it everytime :)

Only use one rag per product

Always do windows last

Don’t use the shiney detailer for the dash or the steering wheel

Always wax after you claybar

This is just what works for me if anyone has used these and found something better please let me know.

That is a pretty good system for using basic over the counter type products. I used to use claybar, then the meguires 3 step system and always had good results.

I have been trying to kick my car care up a notch over the past year though. Bought a Porter Cable 7424 buffer, some good pads, some quality polishes and waxes and have been working on my technique. However I feel now its time for step 2 of my "serious" car care to start. I will be doing some research and talking to the detailers on here to get another batch of products to complete my arsenal so I can be prepared for most DIY style issues with my cars.

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!

Thanks for the help. You will have a PM shortly.

Awesome thanks doc. I won't be up your way today, but maybe this weekend sometime I can swing by. My dad's car doesn't have many bugs so it won't be needed on his car, but mine is covered. Front, hood, windshield etc.

That is a pretty good system for using basic over the counter type products. I used to use claybar, then the meguires 3 step system and always had good results.

I have been trying to kick my car care up a notch over the past year though. Bought a Porter Cable 7424 buffer, some good pads, some quality polishes and waxes and have been working on my technique. However I feel now its time for step 2 of my "serious" car care to start. I will be doing some research and talking to the detailers on here to get another batch of products to complete my arsenal so I can be prepared for most DIY style issues with my cars.

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!

if you want to get serious about it make friends with someone who works in a prep department at a dealership. they get all the good shit :) and use a shop vac to blow dry your car instead of using towels to dry it.

and for the rubber seals you can use tire dressing or silicone

use a shop vac to blow dry your car instead of using towels to dry it.

Leaf blowers work pretty well too....esp for getting water out of little nooks and crannies when it's pretty well dry.

...as a compliment to a microfiber drying towel of course.