2000 svt lightning wont stay running

sprayin77

Guest Removed
My guess is that you find the problem in the tank.

im thinking maybe a power issue..due to it powering up, then s soon as it starts, it drops like a rock..im thinking maybe just maybe, its not coming on in the run position..

i may just force it on,and see if it runs...

Guest Removed
Just looked at the schematics, there are two relays for the fuel pump. One is the standard fuel pump relay, the second is a high pressure relay. I would look there first and then look in the tank.

i always go to the road maps first. and make sure im getting powar!

Just looked at the schematics, there are two relays for the fuel pump. One is the standard fuel pump relay, the second is a high pressure relay. I would look there first and then look in the tank.

+1

i always go to the road maps first. and make sure im getting powar!

Let me know what you find.

On the dirver side there are both the high speed relay and the regular relay. Jump the regular relay without starting the truck and see what happens ( located on the actual fender in the fuse box.) The other High speed relay is in its own container over by the brake master cylinder.

Also there is a common problem with the factory hoses in tank rotting away and not holding pressure for long. Also Fors used a plastic Y to connect the twin pumps and those were a common problem as well. I know JLP and some others sell a stainless Y which isnt really an upgrade as it is a realiability mod.

On the dirver side there are both the high speed relay and the regular relay. Jump the regular relay without starting the truck and see what happens ( located on the actual fender in the fuse box.) The other High speed relay is in its own container over by the brake master cylinder.

Also there is a common problem with the factory hoses in tank rotting away and not holding pressure for long. Also Fors used a plastic Y to connect the twin pumps and those were a common problem as well. I know JLP and some others sell a stainless Y which isnt really an upgrade as it is a realiability mod.

+1 for Mike and his Lightning knowledge.

Guest Removed

i remember this being a issue with these that had age on them, but to think if someone just had the tank out, they would have looked over that stuff rather well. i know i always change the hose's in there while im there.just for reasons like this.

i remember this being a issue with these that had age on them, but to think if someone just had the tank out, they would have looked over that stuff rather well. i know i always change the hose's in there while im there.just for reasons like this.

I would think put it happens alot. I removed mine and didnt find a crack in it until I applied pressure by hand.

• 1 month later...
Guest Removed

HA....fuel pump dropping resistor is missing off the harness..

and i dont have one from the box o lighting harness i have :(

but i know i can make it run..

oh well , i'll call ford in the morning..i love you body guys. always making me money.

you did fix the drivers headlight area didnt you jerry.

Lol ummm this is not my truck dude. I just do what jon the owner wants. So with that said im not claiming anything on that truck. I would have never in a million years attempted to repair it the way it looks. That truck looks like ass. lol. So please dont put my name on it.

Guest Removed

alternator is fine...13.03 volts at idle...using my vat-40, and my dvom..

how was you measuring it? or was you looking at amps?

how the egr has been deleted, and its kicking p1401 and p1409 egr codes, but thats why. someone has deleted it..i am also getting 30% throttle angle at idle, but i see a new TB on it, and i will try to adjust the tps correctly. and i also found some large air leaks in the cold air intake, with some holes at are not capped like they should be..

still trying to have ford find me the resistor..i have it grounded so it will run, but it has a resistor in it for a reason..let alone the 3 relays for the pumps. but the resistor goes in the ground side of the pump's.

Guest Removed

this has a aftermarket TB on it..and the tps screw slots on this look slotted..so i dont know..that or the TPS is on wrong...

resistor is on order..

i'll look closer at the tb and bs, and intercooler crap when i am done with this 70's nova..

Guest Removed

yep the air to water cooler in the front lower of the truck is missing...

wow..this uber charger will melt like the other one i have here..pics of that later

this has a aftermarket TB on it..and the tps screw slots on this look slotted..so i dont know..that or the TPS is on wrong...

resistor is on order..

i'll look closer at the tb and bs, and intercooler crap when i am done with this 70's nova..

My Accufab was adjustable but when i saw that throttle cable and throttle was odd looking I didnt look much further.

Yea I told them they were missing the intercooler and pump, wasy to find things

well we were testing it with a volt meter.. This truck is going to be sold as is and i dont think jon even cares. lol he just wants it to run so he can pawn it off on someone else... thanks for fixing the issues rob. I will make sure i come up to see your operation and meet ya when its done. Also thanks for your help to mike.

Guest Removed
My Accufab was adjustable but when i saw that throttle cable and throttle was odd looking I didnt look much further.

Yea I told them they were missing the intercooler and pump, wasy to find things

not adjustable....and its a complete bolt hole off..not sure whats up it that..and it looks like someone has deleted the IAC bypass tubing , causing idle to be extermly low.:rolleyes:

Guest Removed
well we were testing it with a volt meter.. This truck is going to be sold as is and i dont think jon even cares. lol he just wants it to run so he can pawn it off on someone else... thanks for fixing the issues rob. I will make sure i come up to see your operation and meet ya when its done. Also thanks for your help to mike.

I fix them right man..no half ass shit , sorry..yes i could ground this wire and it would run..but im putting the resistor in it, and if you guys dont want me to go further , then thats fine..i'll just leave the tps unhooked so throttle response is there, and ill put a bolt in the air tube has has a big hole in it, so it runs good enough, to somewhat drive..but it is missing intercooler parts, and the issue with the throttle needs corrected..

what is he wanting to get out from under this mess of a truck?

Im not sure what he is selling it for. im not telling you to half ass it at all. Im just letting you know how this truck will be sold right after you fix it. the hole in the elbow i believe was methanol injection that was on the truck before he bought it. This truck was bought salvage. The reason he even bought it is because i was going to buy it. Just fix whatever you think is wrong with it, he will just have to pay for it. no im not telling you to do any half ass stuff.