Speaker and head unit suggestions?

Trouble Maker

Stay far away from pyramid, legacy, boss, visonik, jensen, insignia, eclipse, phoenix gold, dual, pyle, phase linear, and sony speaker wise.

Agreed!

I have had good luck with the pioneer headunits of the last two years. Anything previous to that was a toss up but they seem to have got their act together.

Speaker wise, I like Diamond Audio or JL for mid to high end and Infinity for entry level.

For reference, I can actually help you with speakers and a head. I am a current dealer for the following:

JL Audio

Diamond Audio

Rockford Fosgate

Pioneer

Infinity

The only head unit lineup I currently have is Pioneer. Not sure if I will pick up anything else later in the year or not but like I said, we have had really good luck with the newer stuff.

For "off the shelf" company's, I agree. BUT, you have to look deeper into the Audio World to find the "best" subs. For the price you simply can not beat FI Audio. Either built for SQ or SPL, FI can hardly be beat. (Especially if you know who the creator of FI is ;) )

Stop watching youtube videos. If you want a all out system its ORION HCCA's.

If you want cheap bumps buy mine! (JL Amp Alpine Type R 12's)

Sony speakers = Suck dick

Sony HU's = Mines a beast

Subs are subs, as long as you don't buy cheap subs your pretty much good to go. I always look at magnet size and structural quality of the sub. If it has a lotta bling, its a pos.

Stop watching youtube videos. If you want a all out system its ORION HCCA's.

If you want cheap bumps buy mine! (JL Amp Alpine Type R 12's)

Sony speakers = Suck dick

Sony HU's = Mines a beast

Subs are subs, as long as you don't buy cheap subs your pretty much good to go. I always look at magnet size and structural quality of the sub. If it has a lotta bling, its a pos.

There is alot more to look at rather than magnet and structual. HCCA's are not the same as they used to be. They are no where near top of the line. What do you think about fosgate P3's?

There is alot more to look at rather than magnet and structual. HCCA's are not the same as they used to be. They are no where near top of the line.

Orion is still top of the line. Orion designs a lot of subs for other companies actually (They designed the LMS Subwoofer which BAAANGGGG)

Ima go ahead and post the 3 systems ive had (only had my car a year) and yeah

2 Audiobahn 10's and a Insignia amp = Pure trash

2 CVX 12's with a Kicker ZX750.1 = Wasn't a bad combo, but ended up blowing up a CVX and replaced it then sold the setup.

Current setup JL Audio 500/1 and 2 Alpine Type R 1242D's. = System slams, easily hits twice as hard as my kicker setup. Maxed out a 130dB mic with the amp set flat. System actually hits too hard for the hatchback, hurts eardrums, shakes the car apart etc. Its for sale actually.

When I worked in audio, my experience was installer error was responsible for most failures (even the cheap stuff). Most of the time when I seen failure in a speaker, a poorly matched amp and crossover settings were to blame. Another cause was poor enclosure design ie. using a driver designed for a sealed enclosure in a ported box.

I agree with big steve on the brands to stay away from. Although I have seen a few 100% pyramid systems that would knock you socks off.

I wish I had an old punch 45 and 150. Rockford stuff was at its pinnacle at that time.

When I worked in audio, my experience was installer error was responsible for most failures (even the cheap stuff). Most of the time when I seen failure in a speaker, a poorly matched amp and crossover settings were to blame. Another cause was poor enclosure design ie. using a driver designed for a sealed enclosure in a ported box.

I agree with big steve on the brands to stay away from. Although I have seen a few 100% pyramid systems that would knock you socks off.

I wish I had an old punch 45 and 150. Rockford stuff was at its pinnacle at that time.

I just got rid of a old school power150. A buddy of mine had 4 super blue pyramid 10's, pyramid 1000x2, pyramid 800x4 and all pyramid mids and highs(in 99) and it slammed. Was suprised it lasted as long as it did (6months).

I really do not think there is a better subwoofer on the Market for $50 bucks that will give you SQ and SPL better than the Pioneer Champ series. Audiobahn are SQ period. If you want to bump the Flame Q's will along with the alum series but only to a certain point

Back in the day, I liked soundstream, Punch, and Orion. Remember them orion 2150's. Cheater amp of the decade!

I remember those, never owned any Orion stuff. Some of the brands that are junk today were good stuff 20 years ago. Sony was very respectable in the early 90's . Pyle was not bad either.

Is Hifonics any good still?

I remember those, never owned any Orion stuff. Some of the brands that are junk today were good stuff 20 years ago. Sony was very respectable in the early 90's . Pyle was not bad either.

Is Hifonics any good still?

Hifonics are good for the price. Not the same as they used to be. Respectable for a nice thump!

Stop watching youtube videos.
:rolleyes:

I don't rely on youtube to make my audio decisions. However for you to make that accusation only shows how much insight you lack on the whole subject.

You have alot to learn

Yes, he does.

Infinity Kappa for the speakers, but maybe pioneer if you're not getting a sub. The infinitys do a nice job of balancing with a sub because they are very crisp in the high end sounds. Pioneer head units are good.

You could look into getting a shallow sub, then you might still have enough room in your trunk. If you want to do that rockford fosgate is probably the way to go.

look on onlinecarstereo.com for good prices on speakers

I've had lots of various systems.

I've got a SONY GT-51 radio in the car right now thats pretty old but works well.

I've also seen some pyrmaid setups that were quite nice for the price.

Do you want special features in your HU? I hard HD-Radio was going to take over so might be something to consider.