Electric Vacuum Pumps

Draco-REX

No, not that kind. This is The Passing Lane..

Anyways, I was flipping though the Jegs catalog and saw these. Running a turbo car, I run out of vacuum for braking REAL fast. If I'm under boost and left-foot braking I get one, maybe one and a half pumps before I'm out of vacuum. A canister is another possibility, but that could run out on long corners as well. A separate vacuum source for the brake booster seems like a great idea.

Has anyone here used them before?

What are their downsides? And do they make enough vacuum to be the only source for a brake booster?

Thanks.

you have to wire them in so they don't run all the time. idealy you would need to find a vacuum switch that will trip a relay when you get low vacuum to turn on the pump. you should still get a canister as well since the vacuum pumps don't pull the vacuum fast enough for what your wanting to do.

Guest Removed

double canister setup, with a one way check valve.(so that way your dont shove boost into the cans.) you can get a check valve from any gm brake booster at the junk yard, and the electric vacuum pumps dont pull alot of vacuum..depending on which one your looking at and or talking about.

edit..look like the kit from ssbc comes with a relay and vacuum switch, not sure tho. may want to check their website for more details on the kit.

Edited by Removed

Guest Removed
Interesting thread, I never thought about vacuum loss like that.

Does anyone know what kind of vacuum the pumps will pull?

tha would depend on the pump...from what i understand..not alot

the ssbc is the best kit out. it is very popular with street rod guys. the pressure switch is sold by itself also. the jegs kit sales really well also because of the price. not alot of returns on them either.

with a one way check valve

I would think his car would have to have a check valve in it already, all boosted cars much have to, so he doesn't shove boost into his brake booster. So as long as he puts the canisters in after his check valve (as long as his stock one isn't built into the brake booster, which they sometimes are), he should be all good.

With there being non-boosted versions of his car, I wouldn't be surprised if the master power was a common part and they just make a different vacuum line with a check valve in that line somewhere. This is obviously just speculation though and he would need to know, or do some research on this.