Mah Soobaroooo

Science Abuse

http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=823&highlight=pole+hill

Thread has videos imbedded in it, my Outback (green) and another on Pole Hill in Estes Park, Co. We were certainly the only cars we saw out there, but we were also the only vehicles with unmodified ground clearence. Mine is about 7.5" and I was able to avoid scraping *most* of the time by being carefull with my wheels. The hill in the vids labeled "Decsent" is steeper than it looks, as indicated by the occasional sliding of the cars. :)

I'll have to try that with the Speed sometime :o

Looks like fun. I had to do some of that, not by choice, with my Trailblazer as I followed a buddy of mine in his Hummer to a cabin we were staying at in Hocking Hills. Scary stuff at times.

I'm going to lol so hard when you trash your rockers or rip off a bumper. After that I'm going to suggest getting a proper 4x4.
If you want to laugh about something, laugh about my blown shocks. ;)

You still need to give props, Mike. It's a trail rated "moderate" (2 on a scale of 3) by the local offroad athority, and the cars got through all 6 miles of it.

I bought the Outback for a reason; I aint driving a proper 4x4 cross-country. I'm a cheap sumbich, I like my mpg.

I did rip up an OEM mudflap, and I've scraped the rockers and such a number of times. The only failing in the car is the front lip. The approach angle sucks, there were things I'd have to drive around just because I couldn't get started on them. I may crank out a metal front bumper this winter.

mabey its just the video btu those trails look weeak as shit... well atleast your a bad ass person for trailing your scoobie haha

Actually, it is the videos, we thought th esame thing:

We You-Tubed videos from the trail before hand and decided "yeah, that looks mild enough, we can do that and I won't worry about the 1300mi trip home."

Within our first 100yds of trail we had get out and walk routes before drivign them. The "Descent" section was damn near a 40deg slope with a couple knee-deep dips/moguls in it. The worst of that didn't get filmed because we were spotting, you can see the 4Runner go through and kick his wheels up, though. We got down it just a slowly as the lifted jeep that we let pass through. Here's what TrailDamage says about the hill, in the up direction.

This hill on 247C is a blast. It's steep and has some whoopdeedoos and rocks that could be very challenging for a stock vehicle.

If you want to laugh about something, laugh about my blown shocks. ;)

You still need to give props, Mike. It's a trail rated "moderate" (2 on a scale of 3) by the local offroad athority, and the cars got through all 6 miles of it.

I bought the Outback for a reason; I aint driving a proper 4x4 cross-country. I'm a cheap sumbich, I like my mpg.

I did rip up an OEM mudflap, and I've scraped the rockers and such a number of times. The only failing in the car is the front lip. The approach angle sucks, there were things I'd have to drive around just because I couldn't get started on them. I may crank out a metal front bumper this winter.

I like my MPG too. All 17ish of them, on a good day. But I bet my "full time four wheel drive" aka all wheel drive Jeep is WAY more comfortable. And faster. MPG be damned. I just like the paint a bit too much to take it off road, that's a few years away.

Tomorrow I'm hooking up a trailer with two quads on it to drive 300+ miles into PA to go chill in the woods for a week. I can't wait.

I like my MPG too. All 17ish of them, on a good day. But I bet my "full time four wheel drive" aka all wheel drive Jeep is WAY more comfortable. And faster. MPG be damned. I just like the paint a bit too much to take it off road, that's a few years away.

Tomorrow I'm hooking up a trailer with two quads on it to drive 300+ miles into PA to go chill in the woods for a week. I can't wait.

red neck hillbillie:bangbang:

But I bet my "full time four wheel drive" aka all wheel drive Jeep is WAY more comfortable.

I'll go ahead and doubt that, but that entirely up to the person judging. Being faste as in quicker off the line? That is nothing to brag about, my engine is shit. (My next one will be an XT)

Being faster driving from here to, ummm, Colorado? Not a chance. I can sustain higher speeds for the whole trip and gain more time over you with fewer fuel stops. ;)

The outback is a balanced vehicle, it's not great at any particular thing, but its good enough at all of them that it is an outstanding mode of transportation. It gets me and my shit every place I want to go without killing me or my budget.