Grinding in reverse

Guest fist302

Guest fist302

Both my SHO Taurus and 87 GT mustang do the exact same thing even though they are totally different transmissions.

They grind in reverse BUT if i put the car into 5th befor going into reverse it usually goes in with no grinding. Although it still takes a few tries usually. Whats up with this? Are my cars playing some sort of a silly joke on me??:wtf::( Any suggestions?

Guest Removed
you have to slow down the input shaft, hence going to first or another gear before going to reverse. and yes reverse most trans, dont have syncros

Placing the transmission in 5th before going for reverse will stop the input shaft rotating, this means it will go into reverse cleanly.

You may have a clutch not fully disengaging, the forward gear synchros are able to slow the rotation enough for a clean engagement but the non-synchro reverse has nothing but teeth to soak up that inertia. Assuming they're hydraulic actuated (no adjustment) this means it's time to replace the clutch.

Placing the transmission in 5th before going for reverse will stop the input shaft rotating, this means it will go into reverse cleanly.

You may have a clutch not fully disengaging, the forward gear synchros are able to slow the rotation enough for a clean engagement but the non-synchro reverse has nothing but teeth to soak up that inertia. Assuming they're hydraulic actuated (no adjustment) this means it's time to replace the clutch.

Mustangs didn't get a hydraulic clutch until 2005, so that isn't an issue.