overheating at idle? water pump?

Browning

98 neon overheats at idle. If it starts overheating and you start driving it goes down after a minute or or so. I changed the thermostat yesterday. Radiator is under a year old(new replacement) and the fan works.

Some one give me the correct steps to burping a coolant system please? I'm pretty it doesn't have any air in it though.

Tailpipe is dry, oil is clean. What would you suspect?

My first guess would be an air pocket. To check:

While cold, remove radiator cap, set heater controls to "hot" (circulate water in heater core), run car until thermostat opens, top up with coolant (preferable at a fast idle/slow cruise RPM - 1500-2000), replace cap while still at RPM.

It's also the cheapest thing to do first - no dollars, just time.

My first guess would be an air pocket. To check:

While cold, remove radiator cap, set heater controls to "hot" (circulate water in heater core), run car until thermostat opens, top up with coolant (preferable at a fast idle/slow cruise RPM - 1500-2000), replace cap while still at RPM.

It's also the cheapest thing to do first - no dollars, just time.

Should the car be level or pointing up on a small incline? Also, how can I be sure the thermostat opened?

To answer your second question, when the car is cold and you have just started it you will feel the upper radiator hose get hotter starting at the engine and working its way toward the radiator while the lower hose remains cool. Then as the t-stat starts to open the lower hose will progressively get warmer. When the lower hose and the upper hose are both hot the t-stat is fully opened.

I have done the air pocket burping on a level surface, but i also have bleeder screws since the radiator is in the front of my car and engine is in the rear. Some cars do some do not.

I use a funnel thing that has a bunch of radiator cap attachments it puts the coolant resivor higher than anything else in the system and forces all the air out you can buy the kit at car quest for either 19.99 or 29.99 I think its called "spill free" its also nice becuase you don't get coolant all over when the air comes out