Looking for 2000-2003 GTP info

Aaron

My brother is in the market for a new car and a 2000-2003 GTP sedan is at the top of the list. Any place I can find out some more info for him would be great.

Forums, opinions, anything.

Thanks guys.

My brother is in the market for a new car and a 2000-2003 GTP sedan is at the top of the list. Any place I can find out some more info for him would be great.

Forums, opinions, anything.

Thanks guys.

Clubgp as said before is the place to go for any info. I wouldnt rule out a low mileage 98-99 though. Its the same exact car except they stopped putting the performance shift button after 2000 I think.

ill sell you one. needs a tranny! lol

Whats wrong with the tranny? Have you had it back to the track yet?

Mine has been beatin on the streets, taken to the track a few hundre times, a slipping or fucked up trans... but the motor is out of an 04 and still runs strong. Currentl has an upgraded valve train (1.9 roller rockers, titanium retiners 105# valve springs new guides)the body has 155K miles on it new brake pads, rotors, calipers and lines, control arms and ball joints. I'll sell it for hummm 12K hahahaha. J/K, unless you're dumb enough to buy it then...

Whats wrong with the tranny? Have you had it back to the track yet?

Not since i fixed the bbv problem. It ran a hell of alot better though. Trans fucked up one night just driving it around normal.

don't they all. I replaced my first at 100k and the second went at 170, got rid of it at that point. motor ran like a champ though.

thats what im thinking. fix it drive it for like 1yr then sell it! lol

but all in all, nice big cars, lots of room, motors are awsome, cheap to mod.

FYI, the '97-'98 were slightly different than the '99-'03. VERY slight differences (PCM, coolant overflow bottle location, air intake design, etc). '97 had different PCM and no traction control on/off option. I think there were also some slight interior changes, but you're basically getting the same car with any year so I wouldn't rule out any '97-'03 if I were you, although the '99+ seem to hold their value better.

I had a '97 coupe, bone stock when I got it at 119k, and after modding it a little drove it for a year, got rid of it at 135k before I took it any further with mods and would've had to replace the tranny. Like others have said, once you get a little deeper with mods, it's only a matter of time before you kiss the stock tranny goodbye. Basically the only weak link of these cars once you start adding power is the transmission.

It was an awesome car though. PERFECT daily driver, basically everything you could possibly want for a daily. All the info you'll ever need can be found at clubgp.com

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/Car%20pics/GTP1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/Car%20pics/GTP010.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/Car%20pics/8-11-08022.jpg

I miss that car.....

thanks for the help guys. I don't like the sound of transmission problems though. I have been through that enough with my 3 Tauri.

He is looking for one around 5 or 6k after negotiating, so we are looking at cars up to 8k asking. It seems pretty easy to get a solid 02 or 03 for that kind of money with under 60k miles.

From what I have read over the years and from what you guys have said, the transmissions are the worst aspect of them. Anything else?

What things should we be looking for when searching for one? Anything specific to the GTP? or just the usual stuff?

If he goes cheaper, the GTP is the car, however I am trying to get him to look at a VW Rabbit. The 2006-2008 Rabbits can be had with around 20-45k miles for about 8-10k. They also come with full factory warranty and some are certified for 6 years and 74k miles total. However I don't know what he wants.

Keep the info and suggestions coming.

Thanks.

Nothing major on these cars other then the Trans, some common but minor problems are…

1. The HUD (if you get one) has a weak solder joint in the circuit board that can cause dimming issues on the display. That can be fixed by re-soldering it (30 minute fix).

2. Also the driver info center (DIC) will start to fade over time. Mine went out at around 130K miles.

3. I've had to replace both front wheel bearings at around 115K miles which is common with most from my understanding.

4. Some people have had issues with the driver’s side door hinge sagging and causing it to a rub against the fender.

5. The coolant temp sensor can get gunked thanks to the anti freeze which will throw a check engine light. The sensor is easy to get to and easy to replace another 20-30 minute fix but if the coolant system is properly cared for you shouldn’t have that problem.

6. The headlights get foggy as shit and start to look like ass. Not really a performance issue, but it will make your headlights dimmer.

7. There was a recall on them that you may want to ask about. The rear valve cover gasket would leak and drip oil down into the heat shield and potentially start a fire. The recall was several months ago, so if you get it from a dealer it should be fixed, but defiantly ask anyway.

Hummm, other then that they are really good cars. The 3800 motor runs strong they’re good DD’s but I wouldn’t do anything more then a CAI an exhaust and maybe a tune. (Dyno Brian is the MAN with 3800’s although he hates to admit it). Parts are pretty cheap (brake pads, rotors etc…) and they’re pretty easy to work on if anything goes wrong. I hope that helps, good luck!

Nothing major on these cars other then the Trans, some common but minor problems are…

1. The HUD (if you get one) has a weak solder joint in the circuit board that can cause dimming issues on the display. That can be fixed by re-soldering it (30 minute fix).

2. Also the driver info center (DIC) will start to fade over time. Mine went out at around 130K miles.

3. I've had to replace both front wheel bearings at around 115K miles which is common with most from my understanding.

4. Some people have had issues with the driver’s side door hinge sagging and causing it to a rub against the fender.

5. The coolant temp sensor can get gunked thanks to the anti freeze which will throw a check engine light. The sensor is easy to get to and easy to replace another 20-30 minute fix but if the coolant system is properly cared for you shouldn’t have that problem.

6. The headlights get foggy as shit and start to look like ass. Not really a performance issue, but it will make your headlights dimmer.

7. There was a recall on them that you may want to ask about. The rear valve cover gasket would leak and drip oil down into the heat shield and potentially start a fire. The recall was several months ago, so if you get it from a dealer it should be fixed, but defiantly ask anyway.

Hummm, other then that they are really good cars. The 3800 motor runs strong they’re good DD’s but I wouldn’t do anything more then a CAI an exhaust and maybe a tune. (Dyno Brian is the MAN with 3800’s although he hates to admit it). Parts are pretty cheap (brake pads, rotors etc…) and they’re pretty easy to work on if anything goes wrong. I hope that helps, good luck!

Awesome, thanks for all of the info.

Lower intake gaskets are pretty much shit after 50k

Don't ask me how I know ;).

How do you know?

So I should add this as a replacement part if we buy one? We will probably give the car a once over after we buy it replacing belts, plugs, sensors etc that need it, so thanks for the info.

I know because I've changed at least 15 of them. They all fail. Ask any real GP owner.

Best way to see if they've been changed or need changed is pop off the engine cover and look where the injectors plug into the LIM. There's little "cups" in the valley of the manifold that will hold a good inch of oil and you'll never see it drop to the ground.

I'm pretty sure it was the front valve cover gasket and the not the rear. It's caused by the gasket being shit and when you brake the motor rocks forward causing the oil to push out the front of the gasket.

I know because I've changed at least 15 of them. They all fail. Ask any real GP owner.

Best way to see if they've been changed or need changed is pop off the engine cover and look where the injectors plug into the LIM. There's little "cups" in the valley of the manifold that will hold a good inch of oil and you'll never see it drop to the ground.

awesome, thanks for the help. They seem to be a solid car for the money. Not too many performance oriented sedans you can pick up for 5 or 6 grand.

For what its worth my transmission hasnt had any problems and it has 134,000 mies on it and still shifts fine. I probably just jinxed myself.

It was the front valve cover gasket that was on recall to be fixed I just had it done and I am leaking oil at the rear of the motor but it has yet to leak on the ground and I change the oil often enough that I dont see a real low level.

whatev

Yeah, what he said. My wheel bearings started to go, my low coolant sensor went flakey, and I hjad to replace my upper coolant elbow/accessory belt/pulley and the alternator bracket thing. The headlights were faded but I replaced mine with aftermarket black ones. The tails were shitty too, they leaked moisture in them ,s o i found a nice set and tinted them

truth

For what its worth my transmission hasnt had any problems and it has 134,000 mies on it and still shifts fine. I probably just jinxed myself.

It was the front valve cover gasket that was on recall to be fixed I just had it done and I am leaking oil at the rear of the motor but it has yet to leak on the ground and I change the oil often enough that I dont see a real low level.

Yeah, that recall shit gets fixed for free, and the tranny will likely hold up if the car is mostly stock. Check the SC oil though, make sure its full, that shit smells mile rotting animal shit though

awesome, thanks for the help. They seem to be a solid car for the money. Not too many performance oriented sedans you can pick up for 5 or 6 grand.

def. a solid car for the money. for the record i got my '97 w/ 119k in great condition for 3k