F-22 Raptor cancelled!

SinisterSS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will look cheaper because the program likely uses some stuff from other programs mainly the F-22. They'll just roll it into the F-35 program on the books and it will look like a much better deal.

You are correct...

Not to mention the F-35 is slated for multiple branches. That means a larger order and more funding required for the complete program. Money will be saved however, things like making a VTOL model for the Marines will add a LOT of extra cost....

It will look cheaper because the program likely uses some stuff from other programs mainly the F-22. They'll just roll it into the F-35 program on the books and it will look like a much better deal.

The skin on the F-22 was extremely expensive to maintain...

$44,000/hr to run 1

like said, they are not 'cancelling' the F-22, they just arent going to build any additional aircraft, they think the cheaper F35 is the way to go. The F22 advocates are now going to push to buy more spare parts for F-22s.

so when the F-22 is gone, what's our answer to the Russian's stealth fighter?

a giant laser from space.

i bet you think i am kidding.

BTW, F35 is stealth, so is F22 but in reality, it doesnt matter much, dog fighting is pretty much a thing of the past.

If it was Wright Patt, it was probably F-16s. They've been hauling ass all day long over Cville. Lucky bastards.

Ya...they were one after the other..just climbing at a high rate of speed and messing around.

a giant laser from space.

i bet you think i am kidding.

BTW, F35 is stealth, so is F22 but in reality, it doesnt matter much, dog fighting is pretty much a thing of the past.

Not sure the Star Wars project will ever get up and running. Wish Reagan would've pulled the trigger and done the program anyways. :(

Here's the airborne version:

http://samizdata.net/~pdeh/20020720-AirborneLaser-747_sml.jpg

It was mostly just for ballistic missile defense though.

Not sure the Star Wars project will ever get up and running. Wish Reagan would've pulled the trigger and done the program anyways. :(

Here's the airborne version:

http://samizdata.net/~pdeh/20020720-AirborneLaser-747_sml.jpg

It was mostly just for ballistic missile defense though.

I thought I heard that program was cancelled too? but the history channel had a show on about that plane and what it was designed to do :cool:

Edited by SinisterSS

so when the F-22 is gone, what's our answer to the Russian's stealth fighter? this is suppose to be far better than the Raptor

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/cwash77/20080507200131T-50.jpg

That's funny because it sure looks like they photochopped a Raptor (minus thrust vectoring) in Russion colors. It's pretty typical since they try and copy just about everything we make and pass it off as there own... :rolleyes:

Ya...they were one after the other..just climbing at a high rate of speed and messing around.

They practice Simulated Flame Out's (SFO's) with F-16's on a regular basis at WPAFB. They are stationed at Springfield and fly over to do VFR work. Since the F16 only has a single engine they are practicing a controller drop. Then they hit the burner and climb straight back up to 10,000ft. to drop down again.... ;)

That's funny because it sure looks like they photochopped a Raptor (minus thrust vectoring) in Russion colors. It's pretty typical since they try and copy just about everything we make and pass it off as there own... :rolleyes:

They practice Simulated Flame Out's (SFO's) with F-16's on a regular basis at WPAFB. They are stationed at Springfield and fly over to do VFR work. Since the F16 only has a single engine they are practicing a controller drop. Then they hit the burner and climb straight back up to 10,000ft. to drop down again.... ;)

the russian thrust vectoring doesn't look like ours but they do have the technology they have it on another aircraft there's a video floating around youtube at an airshow

You are correct...

Not to mention the F-35 is slated for multiple branches. That means a larger order and more funding required for the complete program. Money will be saved however, things like making a VTOL model for the Marines will add a LOT of extra cost....

The Military channel show on the F-22 said that it was also for multiple branches and there was also a VTOL model for the mariens in the works. IDK they could have been mistaken though.

The Military channel show on the F-22 said that it was also for multiple branches and there was also a VTOL model for the mariens in the works. IDK they could have been mistaken though.

I believe you meant the F-35. That's why the F-35 is called the "Joint Strike Fighter"... http://www.jsf.mil/

The F/A-22 was designed for the Air Force ONLY from the beginning. http://www.f22-raptor.com/

I'm sure they could adapt it for other branches but it was never intended for any other service...

here's the video of the Russian SU-35 with thrust vectoring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G912xcWKF3U